Halloween is the perfect night to bring two opposing topics onto one screen – comedy and zombies. Good comical zombie movies are difficult to find. They’re either over-the-top camp or they’re so bad they will put you to sleep before the end of the opening scene.
Here are some suggestions and, depending on your taste of what good zombie comedy is about and what you consider leftovers from the editing room, you may find one that is bloody finger-lickin’ good.
1. American Zombie: This satire on documentaries covers the ‘life’ of zombies who are able to think and speak, however, they have the living on their dinner menu. They do coexist within the living population and are desperate to find their place on the social ladder. Filled with dry humor, this mockumentary deals with everyday life and the issues zombies face in trying to fit in with the surrounding world. American Zombie humor does move on the ‘dry’ side of comedy. Not the absolute best of comedy films, but worth watching.
2. Bio Zombie: An okay film that covers the usual teen flick type of comedy, as a couple of mall workers have an accident with a chemical weapon that turns the shoppers in the mall into zombies. This movie is best described as a lower version of Dawn of the Dead.
3. Boy Eats Girl: If you enjoy zombie movies filled with gore, this may be your zom com for Halloween! This Irish zom com brings zombies to the screen by through actress Samantha Mumba who plays the girlfriend of a boy who dies and is resurrected by his mom’s voodoo. The two are still dating as the movie progresses, proving that dating a zombie is not as easy as it looks.
4. Choking Hazard: A hoard of attacking zombies come after a group of people who are holed up in an isolated cabin. Plenty of talking and slapstick action and plenty of campy zombies dancing with an added show of zombie kung fu.
5. Creatures from the Pink Lagoon: The film is a well-written movie that brings to the screen plenty of gay performances. A few friends come together for a birthday party celebration that is taken over by zombies. Not just your regular, run of the mill zombies either, but gay zombies. The ‘West End Virus’ has spread through the town, creating gay zombies who attack in a most amusing way!
6. Dead and Breakfast: Evil spreads through the town after a group of wedding party guests spend time at a bed and breakfast on their way to the affair. Spirits are dislodged by the group and fill the place with zombies. The film has a great cast, including Portia de Rossi and Jeremy Sisto, however, there are many musical numbers to sit through.
7. Dance of the Dead: Zombie comedies are difficult to find with a great balance of both zombie fun and with comedy that works but Dance of the Dead seems to pull it off. This romantic zombie comedy is the tale of a boy who tries to win back his high school sweetheart as he is busy thwarting off the zombie population stemming from the nearby nuclear power plant. Of course! Did you expect zombies to appear from just anywhere?
8. Dead Alive: The 1992 film from Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) is definitely in the top five zom com movies for Halloween. The crazy humor of a kung fu priest and a zombie baby is worth watching! The film is filled with gore galore!
9. Dead Heat: Dead Heat gives us the classic mad scientist in a lab, crafting zombies to commit crimes such as robberies in L.A. Who is going to fight a zombie when they break in to a bank and want money? An LAPD officer is just the dummy for the job! Only the officer is killed by the zombies as he is trying to arrest them for their crimes. All zombie fans know what happens to anyone who is killed by a zombie – he returns as a zombie and is still on the trail of the robbery suspects. Can he manage to arrest them all before he decomposes?
10. Dead Moon Rising: Comedy never seemed funny in this very cheap film about rental car agents who take lead of a group during a zombie end-of-the-world scenario. It is supposed to contain the world’s largest zombie scene and this would be the climatic section of the film. Why it’s called Dead Moon Rising is a good question due to the fact that none of it takes place during night hours.
There are many more zom com movies in the list but this is a great start. Enjoy your movie and your zombie-filled Halloween!