My diet — vegetarian. My diet aspiration (damn you cheese) — vegan.
I get it — I try to get it. I have read so much material supporting a plant-based diet, and I whole-heartedly agree with every word.
…but beauty — I’m not so sure.
What are vegan beauty products?
LA Times writer Susan Carpenter humorously describes it by saying
“If you don’t wear animals on your body, chances are you’re loath to smear one on your face. And even if an animal byproduct isn’t used in a moisturizer or a blush, those who don’t eat or wear products of any kind from beings that walk, fly or swim have another concern. They want to know that the goods they use weren’t tested on animals. Satisfying the demand for products that fit those descriptions is an uber-niche market in the cosmetics industry: vegan beauty products.”
But no longer is this market “uber-niche” dear Susan. Cosumer groups demanding vegetarian and vegan options are growing leaps and bounds currently.
Here are a few companies to follow making waves in the vegetarian / vegan market:
- Peter Lamas combines the best of nature and science, bringing you salon-quality performance. Founder and product formulator, Peter Lamas uses his extensive background in the hair care and skin care industries to developing his line of skin-loving, earth-friendly beauty products. Lamas, a long time advocate of natural ingredients, creates botanically-rich treatments that combine Certified Organic Botanicals, herbs and vitamins to heal, not harm. All Peter Lamas products are vegan and free of Parabens, Propylene Glycol, Dyes, Sodium Lauryl and Laureth Sulphates, DEA, TEA and Petrochemicals. Peter Lamas Products never uses animal-derived ingredients or tests on animals. (VEGAN)
- Eco Lips which makes a “Bee Free” version of their amazing lip balm. And you know what you gain from supporting this small company? They support family farms that practice sustainable methods of farming without the use of pesticides and herbicides. And, through their 1% for the earth program, more money can be allocated towards environmentally and socially responsible organizations. A lot of great things for a little lip balm! (VEGAN & VEGETARIAN)
- Metropolis Soap, a cool company out of Brooklyn, NY mixing (by hand no less!) up all sorts of wild natural concoctions. They vow that all products they make are 100% vegan. “No parabens, no sulfates, no worries” is their motto and their sticking to it. (VEGAN)
- LUSH is such a leader in this field and I cannot give them enough credit. They are utterly pioneers in this market, guided by wholistic principles, honest ideals, and simplistic concepts. They make a point to create effective products from fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, the finest essential oils and safe synthetics. They even use as minimal packaging as possible to be good to mama nature. And to top it off they lead with their heart — campaigning for issues important to them, regardless if it is related to their industry or not. (VEGAN)
- Zuzu Luxe by Gabriel Cosmetics was created for the bright-eyed beauty bohemian who craves color and is looking to make a statement while keeping her health in mind. Complete with flirty, edgy tones with a mixture of matte and shimmer, Zuzu Luxe by Gabriel Cosmetics is an all-natural, gluten free, vegan cosmetic line that gives a new definition to glamour. The Gabriel Color line was designed with the discerning woman in mind who tends to choose more conservative, sophisticated styles. This collection is a delicate and refined vegan, gluten free cosmetic line made up of natural, earth tones and beautiful color palettes, which ultimately create mistake proof beauty. (VEGAN)
- JUARA is inspired by beauty secrets from Bali, combining rituals of ancient Indonesian royalty and modern science. Utilizing high concentrations of pure powerful active botanicals, JUARA’s effective yet safe and gentle skincare line provides solutions to maintaining skin wellness, while taking you on that tropical vacation. If you can’t go to Bali, bring Bali to you. (VEGETARIAN)
- Naturally Fresh keeps you smelling like a rose all day long! A favorite of actress and vegan guru, Alicia Silverstone — it is tried and tested! It is cruelty-free, hypoalergenic, and free of parabens and other toxic ingredients.
Look into these companies — it’s an order, not a suggestion!
I cannot tell you how amazing these products are — you just have to experience them for yourself. They are rich, lushious, and they feel so real, whole, and genuine. You smell like flowers because you literally just soaked in a tub with bath salt and FLOWERS! That’s a Metropolis Soaps reference if you didn’t catch it.
You will be so happy you did! Unleash the Eco Goddess inside yourself!