Mix it Up
Imagine how incredibly boring and unhealthy it would be to eat the same food every day of your life. Boxers are no exception to this. It’s important that you vary your Boxer’s diet not just to keep his taste buds happy, but to give him the greatest amount of nutrients. Many Boxers will let you know that they need more variety by going on hunger strikes. They will wait all day hoping that you give them something different until they eat their same old kibble out of desperation.
In the past, veterinarians would encourage you to stick with the same food for your dog to avoid making him a picky eater or causing him stomach problems. However, it has been consistently shown that a varied diet is the most healthy option for dogs. It gives them different sources of nutrients that they otherwise wouldn’t get from eating one type of food.
An easy way to vary your Boxer’s diet is to alternate giving him dry, canned, cooked, or frozen foods. Just make sure the amount of fat and calories are relatively the same. Doing this will give him a great balance of nutrients and keep his appetite strong.
Variety is Easy!
Varying your Boxer’s diet is simple:
- One of the simplest things to do is alternate brands of food. There are numerous options for dog food, just make sure you choose high-quality food mixes for the best nutrition. Make sure you feed the right food for your Boxer’s age. Certain brands like Eukanuba, for instance, offer food designed specifically by breed and age.
- Switch up the main ingredients. For example, if you’re always feeding your Boxer a lamb and rice food, alternate to a food with beef, chicken, duck, or turkey.
- Vary your Boxer’s food slowly. The best way to do this is to slowly increase the amount of new food while decreasing the old. You can do this over a week or two weeks.
Boxers can put on weight quickly, so make sure you monitor the portion sizes and calories. Also keep note of which foods your Boxer enjoys the most so you don’t have to purchase ten different types of food. A variety of three usually works well. It may take some time though to discover which three to stick with.
Why Don’t You Have a Boxer Yet?
No Boxer? Then you’re really missing out in life! Adopt one today and see what you’ve been missing out on!
• New Life Boxer Rescue
• PA Boxer Rescue
• Northeastern Boxer Rescue
• New Jersey Boxer Rescue
• Adopt a Boxer Rescue
• Go Boxer Rescue
• Second Chance Boxer Rescue