When you don’t listen to the body you may miss the signals its ends out that there is something besides health going on in the body. Some of these signs you may take for granted as every day occurrences until it is too late and something worse forces you to go to the emergency room. The top signs to pay attention to and take action are:
1. Difficulty in swallowing, may signal esophageal cancer and can also signal lung cancer.
2. Frequent fever and infections, the signs of Leukemia start showing up when the white blood cells start crowding out healthy white cells, zapping immune function and draining its infection-fighting capabilities. In adults this sign goes often missed until the patient has suffered flu-like symptoms and fevers over a period of time.
3. Chronic cough or chest pain, tumors can cause coughing that may appear to be from bronchitis. Sometimes pain extending from the chest to the shoulder and arm is also a sign that it is not bronchitis. One way to tell the difference is in a cough that persists and keeps coming back.
4. Wheezing or shortness of breath, you can’t breathe properly or wheezing noises can be a signal of lung cancer, many times mistaken for asthma.
5. Swollen lymph nodes, in neck, underarms or groin area, a lump that doesn’t go way can be a sign of breast cancer or leukemia.
6. Constant bruising and excessive bleeding. abnormal blood platelets and red blood cells can mean leukemia is squeezing out the healthy cells and signal forms of leukemia impairing the body’s ability to circulate blood and oxygen.
7. Weakness and fatigue, if you keep feeling the need to sit down or you can’t get caught up on rest or exhaustion without any apparent reason this is how many types of cancer get started.
8. Bloating, that doesn’t go away after PMS. Or feeling full unable to eat, especially if pelvic pain is present, may be ovarian cancer.
9. Blood in stool or rectal bleeding, may signal colon cancer.
10. Unexplained weight loss or stomach aches, may signal colon or digestive tract cancer.
11. Swollen breast, red or sore, dimpled, purplish, swollen skin may signal breast cancer.
12. Unusually heavy or painful periods, man doctors blow this off as PMS or menopausal have a vaginal ultrasound done.
13. Facial features swelling, lung tumors block flow to the chest and in turn to the head and face.
14. Sores and bumps that don’t heal, and are crusty. Normal healing time is prolonged or not at all this can be a sign of some form of skin cancer.
15. Finger nail changes, ‘clubbing’ and nails that curve under can be a sign of lung cancer while pale nails or white nails accompanied by pain in the back, lower right side is a first sign of liver cancer, or can be a disfunctioning liver. A black or brown streak underneath can mean skin cancer.
Check with your local or family physician and follow up on what your body is trying to tell you, keep a diary and make notes of days and times to take with you to your doctor. Women tend to down play pain and fear the worse sometimes, or fear they may be seen as irrational. If you get an ‘irrational’ answer from your doctor go to another doctor for a second opinion, preferably one that is in a different clinic or office.