Click here for Part 1
5. Jose Aldo – Aldo is the current Featherweight Champion and has a UFC record of 3-0. He is a dominant champion that has showed his skills in every area of MMA. His punches, elbows, kicks and knees are some of the fastest, most accurate and most powerful strikes in the UFC. He has a black belt in BJJ to go with his stand up game, but unfortunately for his opponents Aldo loves to KO everyone he fights. He has only 1 career loss and that was back in 2005 when he fought at Lightweight. Aldo comes in at number 5 only because he hasn’t proven himself as much as the next 4 fighters and those same fighters would cause him problems in the octagon.
4. George St. Pierre – St. Pierre is the current Welterweight Champion and has a UFC record of 16-2. Millions of Canadians would surely like to see GSP in the top 3 if not number 1, but he just isn’t as dominant a champion as the next 3 fighters on this list. GSP could out wrestle almost anyone in the UFC short of some Heavyweights and Light Heavyweights, and his striking is extremely technical and accurate. However, he hasn’t finished an opponent since BJ Penn at UFC 94 and even then it was Penn’s corner who through in the towel. GSP is still in his prime and will be fighting in the UFC for many years to come so there is still time for the Welterweight Champ to crack the top 3.
3. Junior Dos Santos – Dos Santos is the current Heavyweight Champion and has a UFC record of 9-0. Dos Santos is a modern day Mike Tyson with his resume of knockouts. He has extreme power in both hands and some of the best boxing in the UFC. Dos Santos is known for just walking down his opponents with little regard for their skills, and overpowering them with crisp strikes. Dos Santos has an extremely great chin, solid takedown defense and a brown belt in BJJ so it will be a difficult task for anyone to take that Heavyweight belt away from him. Dos Santos is similar to GSP in how they could eventually move up this list, but for now he just isn’t as talented in the octagon as the next 2 fighters in this list.
2. Anderson Silva – Silva is the current Middleweight Champion and has a UFC record of 16-0. Silva is perhaps the most dominant champion in the history of the UFC with his long list of impressive TKO and submission victories. Almost every fighter that has challenged Silva’s belt has fallen in embarrassing fashion and it doesn’t look like the Middleweight belt will change hands until Silva retires. This was by far the toughest decision on the top 10 list because many people across the world, including other top fighters, feel that Silva is the best pound for pound mixed martial artists to ever fight in the UFC. Two years ago Silva would be number 1 on this list, but Jon Jones is an absolute animal in the octagon and it’s looking more and more like Silva is ducking that fight. The only way Silva will make it to number 1 on this list is if he proves he can take out Jon Jones, not a smaller George St. Pierre.
1. Jon Jones – Jones is the current Light Heavyweight Champion and has a UFC record of 11-1. Never before has a 21 year old kid came into the UFC and run through his opponents in the same fashion as Jon Jones. Jones is 25 now and has only shown signs of getting better, much better, and his only career loss was via disqualification in a fight against Matt Hamill which Jones was easily winning. Since winning the Light Heavyweight Belt, Jones has only faced top ranked fighters and the same can’t be said for Anderson Silva. Jones has the skill to go undefeated for the remainder of his UFC career, knock on wood, and even if Jones was to get upset in the octagon we could all fully expect him to come back even bigger and badder.
Hopefully this top 10 pound for pound list sparked your interest in Mixed Martial Arts, as the sport has truly grown into the best showcase of fighting talent in the world. Unfortunately 10 is such a nice round number for a list, so not every top fighter could make it into the top 10 but that is also what notable mentions are for. Dan Henderson, Mauricio Rua, Renan Barao, Lyoto Machida, Frank Mir, Carlos Condit, Chad Mendes and Gray Maynard come to mind as other top fighters in the UFC today. If you would like to see another UFC fighter on this list that was left out, please feel free to leave a comment below.