Just as each person can probably name his or her list of favorite movies that help to get into the Christmas mood, there are certain movies that evoke the feelings of each season. Autumn is a wonderful season. The gorgeous colors of the turning leaves, the smells of wood fires, and the lovely scent of cinnamon seem to accompany the cooler days and crisp nights as we make the move to more indoor activities and batten down the hatches in preparation for winter. So curl up with a mug of hot spiced cider, and grab these movies for a fall movie festival.
1. Dead Poets Society – Autumn equals back to school, and this fall semester takes place in New England. It’s a classic. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097165/
2. When Harry Met Sally – One of the best romantic comedies ever with gorgeous shots of New York in autumn. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098635/
3. Remember The Titans – Fall means football, and if you need something more than watching the games on television, this is a good heartwarming choice. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210945/ Hey and bonus: Ryan Gosling is in this one.
4. October Sky – Another look at school and transformational teachers. The true story of Homer Hickam, a coal miner’s son who became a scientist at NASA after being inspired by the launch of Sputnik.
5. Hannah And Her Sisters – A wonderful examination of family relationships in all their messy, perfect glory takes place between two Thanksgivings. Plus the beautiful Thanksgiving dinner scenes will having you planning your own celebration. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091167/
6. The Big Chill – It has a turkey dinner and a touch football game, so I’m counting it as a fall movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085244/
7. A Christmas Memory – I know it says Christmas in the title, but it’s about a Christmas gift making project, and everyone knows you have to start those way before Christmas. An adaptation of a Truman Capote story, it is heart warming and wonderfully sad all at the same time. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135187/
8. The Four Seasons – This one is a great one to remind you of all the wonders of each season and the pain and joy that goes along with sharing these seasons with friends and family. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082405/
9. Autumn In New York – This one is an attempt at a tear jerker and is beautiful to watch just for the settings alone. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174480/
10. Sweet November – The original, not the remake. Kooky and oh so sixties, but you’ve gotta love the wacky apartment, not to mention the premise. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063661/
11. Animal House – Yep, I say crank it up to ELEVEN! Do you remember your freshman year in college? Parts, I remember parts of it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/
12. The Paper Chase – This is what I thought college would be like. It was more like that after freshman year. Houseman as the prof, is wonderful. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070509/
So there you have it. What movies make you think of autumn?