Sweet potatoes are often a staple at Thanksgiving dinner. Listed below are several recipes, all include sweet potatoes. You will find:
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole
- Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
- Whipped Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato and Apple Salad
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Banana Sweet Potato Bread
If shopping for sweet potatoes in Raleigh, NC, try: Fresh Market or Harris Teeter off Durant Road
Sweet Potato Casserole
- · 2 large cans of sweet potatoes
- · 4 eggs beaten
- · 2 cups of white sugar
- · ¾ cup of margarine (melted)
- · 1 cup of evaporated milk
- · 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- · 2 cups of white mini marshmallows
- · 1 cup of shredded coconut
· 2 ½ cups of cornflakes (crushed)
· 1 cup of brown sugar (packed)
· 1 cup of pecans (chopped)
· 1½ cups of margarine (melted)
Pre heat your oven to 400°.
Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with butter.
In dish, mash your potatoes. Mix in your eggs, sugar, margarine, milk, cinnamon, marshmallows and coconut.
In a separate bowl, mix your cornflakes, brown sugar, nuts and margarine. This is your topping; spread it over your potato mixture. Place your dish on an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet. This will prevent food from falling down and baking on the bottom of your oven (this I know from experience). Place your casserole into your oven for about 20 minutes. Just until it all blends together.
Boston Market Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter, soft
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup butter. melted
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Peel potatoes and boil until soft.
Whip until fluffy.
Add sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla to whipped potatoes.
Pour into greased 9×13 baking dish.
Prepare topping: Mix all topping ingredients together in a bowl.
Sprinkle topping over potatoes.
Bake at 350* for 40-45 minutes.
Option: Add a cup of mini marshmallows into potato mixture before adding to casserole dish.
Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
- · 3-4 sweet potatoes, depending on the size of your crockpot
- · Butter or Margarine
- · Cinnamon
- · Sugar
- · Honey or Maple Syrup, if desired
Set the crockpot on low.
Poke holes into sweet potatoes.
Place potatoes into crockpot, without water and cook for 6-8 hours.
Remove from crockpot, slice each potato open and fill with butter, cinnamon, sugar and honey or syrup.
For an extra treat, add mini marshmallows!
To keep it healthier, add cinnamon, nutmeg and honey.
Whipped Sweet Potato Casserole
- · 6-7 sweet potatoes, regular size, peeled and cut into cubes
- · 1 can sweetened condensed milk (you will only use half)
- · 1 bag mini marshmallow
Pre-heat oven to 350*.
Fill a pot half full with water. Bring potatoes to a boil and continue to boil until the are cooked.
You will know when they are ready when you can easily slice through one with a fork.
Drain water from potatoes.
Beat potatoes with a mixer until they are free from lumps.
Add 1/2 can of milk.
Whip until combined.
Pour mixture in a baking dish.
Top with mini marshmallows.
Bake for 20 minutes (until marshmallows are lightly browned).
Sweet Potato & Apple Salad
- · 1 sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- · 1 large apple (or 2 small), peeled, cored and shredded
- · ¼ cup orange juice (fresh or store bought)
- · 2 to 3 tablespoons dried dates or raisins, chopped
Add all ingredients together. For extra flavor sprinkle salad with cinnamon!
You can also add some chopped nuts to the top of this salad!
Sweet Potato Pie
- · 1½ cup of sweet potatoes (cooked or canned)
- · 2 teaspoons of margarine (softened)
- · 1 cup of granulated sugar
- · 3 eggs (separated)
- · 1/3 cup of evaporated milk
- · 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- · 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- · 1 deep-dish pie crust or 2 regular pie crusts
Preheat your oven to 375°.
Mix potatoes, margarine and sugar together.
Add milk, vanilla and cinnamon to your mixture.
Beat your egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
Fold egg whites into your potato mixture.
Pour your mixture into your pie crust(s).
Bake your pie(s) for 10 minutes at 375°.
Turn your oven down to 350° after 10 minutes and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Banana Sweet Potato Bread
- · 1 box white cake mix
- · 1 banana, mashed
- · 1 egg
- · 1/2 cup milk
- · 1 single serving cup of apple sauce (4 ounces)
- · 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- · ¾ cup sweet potatoes, cooked and whipped (with mixer)
- · Cinnamon sugar
- · Butter spray
Preheat oven to 350*. Spray 2 loaf pans with butter spray and then lightly coat them with cinnamon sugar. In a bowl add cake, banana, egg, milk, apple sauce, potatoes and cinnamon. Mix well with wire whisk, removing all lumps. Pour evenly into two pans. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top of each. Bake for 60 minutes.
· Canned sweet potatoes can be used for this recipe.