In a dangerous game of asphyxiation to cut off oxygen then release pressure to give a feeling of being high, David Nuno, 15, was in his bedroom in Chula Vista, California last night around 7 pm copying instructions for what is called the “Pass-out” game for the first time on YouTube when he died.
According to police Nuno lost consciousness and then landed on a glass that was located on the floor which slashed his cartoid artery causing him to bleed to death. While he tried to get help from his father downstairs by struggling down the staircase, his father tried to stop the bleeding with a towel however Nuno was unable to be saved by paramedics and doctors and was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
The dangerous game has been gaining popularity by kids who have been uploading the instructions on YouTube.
In a statement to ABC earlier this year YouTube said, “Community Guidelines prohibit videos intended to encourage dangerous activities that risk serious physical harm. We routinely remove material… and we encourage users to flag video for our attention.”
Yet because this kind of information travels from friends through video sharing on the web at warp speed, there are lots of videos on YouTube giving instructions by other teens how to get high from asphyxiation that are there even today the day after this tragedy.
Psychiatrist Daniel Cowell said that parents and children must be aware of the dangers of the ‘pass out’ game that he says, “deprives themselves of oxygen until they lose consciousness and fall into friends’ waiting arms which can produce a woozy sometimes addictive euphoria.”
The Dangerous Behavior Foundation which began its inception in 2006 has been helping to provide effective education and awareness on it’s website to help parents understand this dangerous phenomenon.
Their website states that many teens perceive there is no risk to participating in this game saying most teens often say, “No one ever dies from fainting.”
Also on their website it was stated that In 2010, two teenage girls died in the Chicago area after attaching cord to their necks to deprive themselves of oxygen, but because they played the game on their own, they hung themselves to death instead.
“Children think it’s safe,’ said psychiatrist Daniel Cowell, who has studied the phenomenon, ‘It’s far from safe.’
Video – Watch video “Suffocation Roulette” that was created by Middle School students detailing the dangers of the “Pass-Out” game.