South Florida – The Silver Palm Theatre Awards committee, founded five years ago to honor theatrical excellence in South Florida, has announced that this year it will present the coveted award to 18 individuals. “The Silver Palm Awards are presented annually to those who’ve made an outstanding or unique contribution to the South Florida Theatre season,” explained Silver Palm Awards Chairman Tony Finstrom. “There are no nominees, no winners or losers, and no limit to the number of citations given in any ‘category,’ though there really are no official categories.”
Finstrom (a playwright), Beacon TV talk show host Iris Acker, and South Florida International Press Club President and critic Ron Levitt compose the Silver Palm committee, which receives recommendations from South Florida journalists and theatre critics before the final list of recipients is determined.
This year’s 2012 Silver Palm Advisory Council consist of Richard Cameron (www.BroadwayGlobal.org, quadrust.com, www.TheatreChat.net) Christine Dolen (The Miami Herald), Hap Erstein (The Palm Beach Post, Palm Beach ArtsPaper), Bill Hirschman (www.FloridaTheaterOnStage), John Lariviere (www.TalkinBroadway.com), J.W. Arnold (South Florida Gay News), Roger Martin (www.miamiartzine.com), Skip Sheffield (Boca Raton Tribune, Atlantic Ave Magazine) and South Florida freelance theatre journalists Mary Damiano and Michelle F. Solomon.
Silver Palm Awards have been presented to over sixty individuals and/or groups during the previous four theatre seasons, and the “2011-2012 Season” consisted of shows that opened between September 1, 2011 and August 31, 2012. This year, for the first time, previous recipients of this award (six of them) will be honored for a second time.
The awards presentation will be held at the annual Theatre League Holiday Party on Monday, December 3, 2012 at a downtown Fort Lauderdale venue that will soon be announced. The party is scheduled from 7:30 to 11 p.m, and is open to the public, but there is an admission charge. Theatre League members attend free of charge. For reservations to Silver Palm Awards call South Florida Theatre League Executive Director Andie Arthur at 954-557-0778. For more information on South Florida’s Silver Palm Theatre Awards, go to www.silverpalmawards.com.
2011-2012 Silver Palm Award recipients are:
- Joseph Adler, Director – for his outstanding direction of “Race,” “Red,” “The Motherf**ker With The Hat,” and “Time Stands Still” (previously won for his work in the 2008-2009 theatre season).
- Katherine Amadeo, Actress – for her outstanding performance in “The Turn of the Screw.“
- Michael Amico, Set Designer – for his outstanding set designs for “All My Sons,” “The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds,” and “Master Harold and the Boys.“
- David Arisco, Director – for his outstanding direction of “Next to Normal” and “Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol.”
- Jim Ballard, Actor – for his outstanding performances in “All My Sons,” “Side Effects,” and “The Fantasticks.“
- Ken Clement , Actor – for his outstanding performances in “Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol,” “Becky’s New Car,” and “The Last of the Red Hot Lovers.”
- Mark Della Ventura, Playwright / Actor – for his outstanding new work: “Small Membership,” and his outstanding performances in “Small Membership” and “Lobby Hero.”
- Christopher Demos-Brown, Playwright – for his outstanding new work: “Captiva” (previously won for his work in the 2009-2010 theatre season.)
- Todd Allen Durkin, Actor – for his outstanding performances in “Captiva,” “A Steady Rain,” and “A Measure of Cruelty.“
- Kim Ehly, Playwright – for outstanding new playwright: “Baby GirL.“
- Lindsey Forgey, Actress – for outstanding new talent through her performances in “Baby GirL,” “Into the Woods,” “Urinteown,” and “Xanadu.“
- Island City Stage – for the outstanding debut of a new theatre company with “The Twentieth Century Way“ (to the producer.)
- Jodie Langel, Actress – for her outstanding performances in “Next to Normal” and “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.”
- Margaret M. Ledford, Director – for her outstanding direction of “After the Revolution,” “The Unseen,” and “The Turn of the Screw” (previously won for her work in the 2008-2009 theatre season.)
- Michael McKeever, Playwright – for his outstanding new work: “Moscow (previously won for his work in the 2010-2011 theatre season.)
- Stuart Meltzer, Director – for his consistent outstanding work as the resident director of Zoetic Stage.
- Laura Turnbull, Actress – for her outstanding performances in “The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds,” “Becky’s New Car” and “Death and the Maiden” (previously won for her work in the 2009-2010 theatre season.)
- Gregg Weiner, Actor – for his outstanding performances in “Red,” “A Steady Rain,” “Race,” and “Time Stands Still” (previously won for his work in the 2008-2009 theatre season.)
Remy Awards, given each year by the South Florida Theatre League (www.SouthFloridaTheatre.com), will also be presented the evening of December 3, 2012 to former Carbonell Awards Executive Director Amy London (Pioneer Award), and to Bill Hirschman’s on-line South Florida theater publication “Florida Theater On Stage” (Service Award.) For reservations to Silver Palm Awards call South Florida Theatre League Executive Director Andie Arthur at 954-557-0778. For more information on South Florida’s Silver Palm Theatre Awards, go to www.silverpalmawards.com.
“Florida is the Broadway Global destination for sun in the fun, with live arts events and award ceremonies that honor talented artists. But for those Floridians or world travelers who may want the latest Broadway Global news visit quadrust.com/miracle-theatre-in-miami/richard-cameron. Find the latest arts news from around the world here on quadrust.com. There is only one place that offers Broadway Global breaking news, right here. Because I share arts news from the people for the people.” Richard Cameron of BroadwayGlobal and Theatre Chat.
Richard Cameron reminds all artists to send show/audition info direct to Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your theater, show or story could be spotlighted here on quadrust.com. Theatre Chat and BroadwayGlobal have over 60,000 arts lovers because of your support. We all must join together because this is how the arts will survive. Join together today and make theatre, dance, music and art available to all. Theatre Chat.
Please share Theatre Chat and the quadrust.com articles with your friends. Theatre Chat has over 60,000 arts lovers posting arts FREE everyday on over 30 city/state Theatre Chat groups on facebook with Florida Theatre Chat, USA Theatre Chat, NYC Theatre Chat, Chicago Theatre Chat, Los Angeles Theatre Chat, Arizona Theatre Chat, North Carolina Theatre Chat, PA Theatre Chat, DC Area Theatre Chat, International Theatre Chat just to name a few. Your comments or post could inspire an article here on quadrust.com.
Other important articles include the Broadway top musicals and South Florida Theatre Chat Links from A to Z one stop shopping for the arts. Cameron’s articles have featured conversations with Tony Award winning Producer Stewart Lane, Emmy Award winning Casting Director Jeff Greenberg (Modern Family/Cheers), Valerie Salgado of SMASH, SDC Ron Hutchins of CIRQUE and multiple Broadway and TV stars and creative teams bringing arts lovers together around the world for the largest social media arts movement. Tag you’re it! Subscribe. Click the facebook link to share the live theatre with your friends and arts community.