In 1994, Silversea Cruises, a tiny cruise line was born with the big mission to provide exceptional service, sophistication and luxury into an industry that was pretty much sadly lacking in those departments. Eighteen years later the Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based cruise line can proudly boast it accomplished that mission and more.
The small luxury cruise line now operates five sleek ships and one explorer vessel that have garnered awards and praise from passengers, media, and the industry itself. Alas, nearly two decades can take a toll on a ship, and this month the company is putting its Silver Cloud, which debuted in 1994 along with sister ship Silver Wind, into a three-week dry dock for a stem-to-stern refurbishment. (This National Cruise Examiner is a fan of Silversea who was on board the Cloud’s inaugural voyage, and subsequently sailed on each of the company’s vessels).
According to a Silversea spokesperson, “The goal is to completely renovate Silver Cloud’s interior decoration, including the suites, public spaces and dining venues, in order to introduce a fresh and contemporary classic atmosphere.”
Makeover highlights include:
- As soon as guests step aboard Silver Cloud, they will notice a totally renewed lobby displaying a color palette of warm earth tones that will be carried throughout most areas of the ship with the installation of stylish new carpets, wall treatments and artwork in the corridors, staircases and public spaces. Providing contrast to the main color scheme of the ship will be The Bar, which will be decorated in cooler shades of teal mixed with neutral tones of brown and beige. All new furniture, carpet, curtains and reconditioned wood flooring will give the Panorama Lounge a refreshed contemporary look, while The Spa and Beauty Salon will also get a makeover.
- Le Champagne, the only Relais & Châteaux restaurant at sea, will be completely transformed with an upgraded entrance design, the addition of gleaming, backlit wine displays, a redesigned seating layout, and new wood flooring, fabrics and window treatments.
- La Terrazza’s updated interior will include a remodelled buffet area and handsome new banquettes along the walls, offering greater seating flexibility, including more tables for two.
- The Restaurant will be refreshed with chairs dressed in bright new fabrics, new window treatments and reconditioned hardwood flooring.
- The Grill, a favorite dining venue of yours truly and her mate while on Silver Spirit, will now be offered on the Cloud. The existing Pool Bar and Grill area is expanded with additional seating, a large overhead awning, and the removal of the central stair unit, which will be replaced with a curving corner staircase. At this new outdoor restaurant, guests will enjoy an innovative dining experience that lets them cook prime meats and fresh seafood on heated volcanic rocks at their table.
Sophisticated suite décor
- The sofas and chairs will be covered in new fabrics. All carpets, headboards, curtains and outside veranda furniture will be replaced. Each suite will have a new mattress custom-made mattress with an individual spring system with a soft and firm side that can be reversed to suit each guest’s preference. The new beds will be outfitted with plush new Pratesi sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers. All bathrooms will be enhanced with new flooring, marble appointments and either a new bath-and-shower combination or a new walk-in, glass-enclosed rainforest shower with sitting area, offering a soothing, spa-like experience. (This will replace the existing bath-and-shower combination in nearly 90% of the Veranda and Vista Suites). The Owner’s and Grand Suites will be outfitted with a modern wet room bath configuration featuring a new rainforest shower that will be separate from the bathtub.
Upgraded outdoor Spaces
- The jogging track will feature all-new synthetic turf and the pool area will be outfitted with new deck furniture.
In addition to enjoying a fresh reconditioning and polishing of teak decks and woodwork, the ship will undergo thorough maintenance on mechanical and propulsion systems.
About Silversea Cruises
Silversea Cruises, which is chaired by Manfredi Lefebvre d’Ovidio, is recognized as an innovator in the luxury cruise line industry, offering guests large-ship amenities aboard its intimate, all-suite vessels: Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper and Silver Spirit. With the inclusion of the expedition ship Silver Explorer, Silversea Cruises’ itineraries encompass all seven continents and feature worldwide luxury cruises to the Mediterranean, Caribbean, both polar regions and over 450 exotic destinations in between.