The east coast is currently hunkering down to ride out what they are saying is one of the worst storms in American History. Finding information, shelter and friends may be more important than ever. Here are some apps to help you find your way through the storm.
1. S.O.S. by American Red Cross
Be safe, prepared and informed when a medical emergency strikes with the American Red Cross’s S.O.S. App for Android. The American Red Cross has teamed up with Dr. Oz and Sharecare to create the ultimate emergency care application. S.O.S. provides step-by-step instructions on dealing with a variety of emergencies, including choking, broken bones, strokes, allergic reactions and more. Not sure what the problem is? We’ll help you figure that out, too.
This free app includes:
- An expansive Emergency Guide for easy access to emergency care information.
- A questionnaire to help you determine an emergency’s severity and proper treatment.
- Dozens of videos, narrated by Dr. Oz, to coach you through emergency protocols. Particularly complex techniques, such as unconscious choking and CPR also include an audio and visual counter for real-time CPR compressions.
- Quick Care factoids to help you stay ahead of the curve before an emergency strikes. These range from knowing which foods can help motion sickness to the medical use for kitty litter.
- Easy access to 9-1-1. If you’re not in the US, they’ve got you covered – the app will determine what country you’re in and dial the appropriate emergency number.
- Alerts from the Red Cross to make it easy to help out in the case of a major disaster.
- Emergency care protocols were developed and reviewed by prestigious medical and educational panels from both the American Red Cross and the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP).
2. Emergency Button by Andluck
Emergency Button sends a distress signal with your coordinates when pressed. Define a phone number and/or an email address and whenever you press the big red button, the distress signal will be sent out to these recipients along with your GPS/Network location (a google maps link) and a personalized message.
If you or a loved one ever walk through a dark alley, travel abroad or just need to alert someone of your whereabouts – this button will simplify explaining exactly where you are. Help can come faster and within GPS accuracy.
2.. Find My Friends by Family Safety Production
It’s easy to get started. Download and install Find My Friends on your phone, create an account and invite your friends to do the same. As soon as your friends have joined your account, you can see their location on our Friend Location Map. For each person’s profile, you can also see their location history, request a location update and check-in with your friends so they get your most updated location. If you or your friends need help, the panic button will let everyone know, along with providing the most recent location.
Friend location for other phones:
Locating friends using other phones is even simpler. All you have to do is send your friend an invite via text message. All your friend has to do is text a “yes” reply. As soon as your friend accepts your invite, you can locate him or her instantly on our map with the push of a button. They use the same technology that you see on CSI or Law & Order referred to as “triangulation.” Triangulation utilizes the cell phone carrier’s network infrastructure to identify a cell phone’s location.
Sandy App Application:
- If you have been ordered to evacuate and your trying to get a ride out of the city.
- Watching TV and wondering if your friends are alright
- In the event that landmarks and roads are destroyed or can’t be recognized
- Getting in touch with local officials who are trying to get the word out
3. Recipe Search by allthecooks.com
If you find yourself with fewer options then usual Receipe Search is quick and simple way to find recipes with ingredients that you have. Easily scan through our 150k recipes just by saying ingredients you have and discover the options you may have missed the first two days of Sandys visit.
This app comes with a community ready to answer questions you may have on how to prepare that perfect mandatory vacation.