Republicans have this strange obsession with apologies. Mitt Romney’s 2009 book was titled “No Apology”. Romney has accused President Obama of being on an apology world tour. Romney also accused the Obama Administration of apologizing for the attacks in Libya and Egypt on Tuesday.
Even embattled Rep. Todd Akin has joined in the apology nonsense.
Why are Republicans so fixated on apologies?
Repeatedly they have claimed the White House has apologized for America, only to have fact checkers disprove their claims time and again. Their strategy of repeating claims until people believe them can be the only explanation for their insistence on Obama apologizing for something to someone.
Obama has not apologized for the latest attacks on U.S. Embassy’s, as Akin and Romney have claimed. Obama never went on a world apology tour as Romney and many Republicans claimed.
Instead of blaming President Obama for apologizing when he hasn’t, perhaps it’s time for Romney to apologize for all the situations he’s created or worsened during 2012.
- Romney should apologize to Hispanics for his “self-deportation” policy.
- Romney should apologize to the 89 million Americans he wants to take health care away from.
- Romney should apologize to the 15 million gay and lesbian couples he wants to take legal marriages away from.
- Romney should apologize to the nearly 200,000 women who are raped each year for taking away their health care options and legal rights.
- Romney should apologize to the United Kingdom for his behavior while there.
- Romney should apologize to Poland for his behavior while there.
- Romney should apologize to Israel for his behavior while there.
- Romney should apologize to the nearly 100 million American families he wants to take Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security away from.
- Romney should apologize to the 125 million Americans he would deny food stamps, unemployment insurance, and career retraining services to.
- Romney should apologize to women for his remarks against equal pay and equal rights.
- Romney should apologize to the American people for being insincere in every statement and belief.
What is there for President Obama to apologize for? Nothing.
Romney wants people to believe the President is a weak individual bowing to the whims of others. Instead, President Obama has:
- Reformed Wall Street.
- Reformed student loans.
- Cut taxes 18 times.
- Reformed health care while lowering costs.
- Created more jobs in 4 years than President Bush did in 8.
- Saved the auto industry.
- Ordered the killing of Osama Bin Laden.
- Assisted in the capture and death of Muammar Gaddafi.
- Ended the worst recession since the Great Depression.
- Ended the War in Iraq.
- Ended Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.
- Came out in favor of marriage equality.
That sounds like a pretty strong leader. One who doesn’t have to create false apologies during national tragedies for cheap political points or news cycle victories.
There’s an apology due to the world, but it’s not from President Obama. It’s from Mitt Romney. Though, what do you expect from someone whose autobiography is titled “No Apology”.