The Puyallup Fair kicks off today and it’s time to fill up your wallet and head out to the Western Washington Fair Grounds. This colossal 169+ acre event starts today Sept 7 and runs through the 23rd of this month, which is over two fun filled weeks of action and ride adventures.
For those of us living anywhere near the Puyallup Fairgrounds, it means a change in our normal driving routine to avoid being caught in the middle of “Fair Traffic” and it also means we catch the intoxicating aroma of Fair Food everywhere we go.
If you are new to Western Washington or have not “Done the Puyallup” before, which means you are new to Western Washington, you can expect to find such a wide array of Fair cuisine your mouth will drop. The fairground is filled with the most fattening and grease filled food on the planet, and it feels oh so naughty to really indulge in the delicious food for just one afternoon.
There are the basic festival and fair foods, taffy, cotton candy, kettlecorn, elephant ears, churros, caramel apples, krusty pups, drowing in mustard of course, and huge cow chip cookies. Then there are the must haves which are the delicate and delicious fair scones, funnel cakes and waffle cones. The food vendor that catches my attention every time and makes my mouth water a few miles away from the fairgrounds is Longhorn Barbecue. To find that vendor, just follow your nose.
Follow the link at the end of the article for a food vendor map ~ it’s a necessity, especially if you have little ones to feed. Be prepared to really shell out some big money for the fam to eat as one Krusty Pup last year was over $4, and some burgers were nearly $10 each. Even the kiddy shacks over in SillyVille can clean out your pockets fairly quickly.
Below find some basic information and links to rodeo information and concert schedule.
Run Dates: September 7 – 23, 2012
- Monday – Thurs: 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Friday: 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Saturday: 9 a.m. – 11 p.m.
- Sunday: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Adults $12.50
- Students (6 – 18) $9.00
- Seniors (62+) $9.00
- Five & Under: Free
Parking Monday – Friday is $10.00 Saturday and Sunday $12.00 Please note: Vehicles over 20 feet must purchase two parking tickets (including RV’s, Trailers and Oversized Trucks
Activities and Attractions
- Rain Forest Adventures ~ A multi-sensory expedition comes completely alive with critters that inhabit this environment. Toucans, anacondas, snapping turtles and geckos. Walk through and experience the tropical rainforest atmosphere, ask questions and talk to professionals
- Our Body Exhibit, Our Body: The Universe Within ~ A fascinating, artful & educational exhibit consisting of actual human bodies and organs. Note: This exhibit runs Sept 8 – 23rd, 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.. It is not open on the 7th, opening day. $7 for adults and students, children under 5 are free.
- Puyallup Pro Rodeo ~ The Northwest’s biggest rodeo runs Sept 7 – 9 and if you are child free for this event you can watch the cowboys and cowgirls work and perform fro the Bucking Chute Saloon located next to the arena. Stick around for Saturday evenings festivities, Dancing in the Dirt, free for Rodeo Ticket Holders. Tasty food, wine, beer and cocktails are available for purchase. The party kicks of at 6:15.
The fair has the following rentals available:
- Strollers: $9
- Wagons: $13
- Wheelchairs: $15
- Electric Carts $50
- Lockers $5 Locker rentals are at the Gold Gate
Rodeo, Visitor Info and Parking, Concerts & Entertainment, Food Finder and Map, Fair Planner & Daily Schedule, Rain Forest Adventure, Our Body Exhibit,