On Monday, a number of high profile college football awards had their semifinalists announced, including five Pac-12 players for the 2012 Maxwell Award.
The award, given annually to the nation’s best college player, is voted on by a panel made up of Maxwell Football Club members, NCAA head coaches, sportscasters, and sportswriters. It’s named after Robert W. Maxwell, who dedicated his life to all things football (player, coach, sportswriter, hall of famer.)
Oregon sophomore De’Anthony Thomas was named a semifinalist, with his position marked as running back/athlete. He’s averaging 8.6 yards per carry, 9.1 yards per catch, and 18.3 yards per punt return en route to eleven total touchdowns in 2012. All of this coming after a stellar year as a true freshman in 2011, when he scored 18 times.
- See De’Anthony’s ludicrous punt return TD here
Teammate Kenjon Barner, a senior running back, was also named a semifinalist. After three years as a backup to LaMichael James, Barner has excelled in his new spot as the team’s starter in the backfield.
Barner is now just 27 yards shy of his first career 1,000-yard rushing season and is currently No. 10 in the nation in rushing. He’s averaging 6.9 yards per carry and has scored 14 touchdowns on the ground. He’s also caught 13 passes for 158 yards and an additional score.
Three fellow Pac-12 players were also named Maxwell Award semifinalists on Monday. Here’s the complete list of semifinalists, with Pac-12 players displayed in bold:
- Montee Ball, senior, RB, Wisconsin
- Matt Barkley, senior, QB, USC
- Kenjon Barner, senior, RB, Oregon
- Giovani Benard, sophomore, RB, North Carolina
- Johnathan Franklin, senior, RB, UCLA
- Mike Gillislee, senior, RB, Florida
- Jarvis Jones, junior, LB, Georgia
- Collin Klein, senior, QB, Kansas State
- Marqise Lee, sophomore, WR, USC
- EJ Manuel, senior, QB, Florida State
- Johnny Manziel, freshman, QB Texas A&M
- AJ McCarron, junior, QB, Alabama
- Braxton Miller, sophomore, QB, Ohio State
- Geno Smith, senior, QB, West Virginia
- Manti Te’o, senior, LB, Notre Dame
- De’Anthony Thomas, RB/ATH, Oregon
While Oregon QB Marcus Mariota was not named a Maxwell Award semifinalist, he was named a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien Award, given annually to the nation’s top quarterback.
Fellow teammate Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, a sophomore cornerback, was named a 2012 Thorpe Award semifinalist on Monday, given each year to the nation’s top defensive back.
© 2012 Max Price – All Rights Reserved.
Follow me on Twitter @OsportsExaminer and on Facebook.
Click the “SUBSCRIBE” button below to receive free updates on important Oregon Ducks Football articles sent directly to your e-mail.