It has been a bad week for New York nannies. First came the horrifying report on Friday of a trusted caretaker who murdered the young children of the wealthy couple she worked for. Now comes a tale of abuse in which the caretaker was the victim rather than the villain.
The Mail Online reports that 31-year-old Andrea Duncan is suing her former employer, Susan O’Leary, because of “the torture she was put through while watching the woman’s troubled 23-year-old daughter.” Duncan was hired to watch Suzanne Duncan, who is 8 years her junior, because the young woman allegedly suffered from “a mild emotional disorder.” It was not until Duncan was under O’Leary’s employ that she learned that the daughter had just been released from inpatient treatment for “severe” emotional problems.
But it was the torment visited on her by her boss that made her job a living hell. Duncan maintains that O’Leary went ballistic for no apparent reason and threw a pot full of boiling water on her on once occasion, then forbade her from seeking medical treatment, telling her instead to take “Adderall, drink wine, and apply aloe.” Duncan claims that she weighed seeking treatment against the perks of her job, which included room and board in an $8 million Carnegie Hill apartment, and elected to stay on.
In papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, Duncan, an aspiring actress, further alleges that O’Leary controlled her life both inside and outside the apartment. She insists that O’Leary forced her to go on dates with her personal trainer and broker was told to be “nice and accommodating.” She states that she was also required to dress scantily and host cocktail parties at the apartment even though that was beyond the scope of her job description.
“All I wanted,” Duncan told reporters, “was a safe place to live and make a little money to support myself. Where I was was evil.”
- NYC nanny stabs toddlers to death, attempts suicide (Video)
- 19-year-old dies after being stabbed in NYC high school melee
- Innocent bodega worker shot dead by officer responding to robbery
- Would-be do-gooders unwittingly come to aid of robbery suspect, not victim
- Air show pilot killed in fiery crash while shocked spectators look on
- Area teen killed after sticking head through roof of party bus
- Killer who butchered 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky gets 40 years to life
- Breaking: Shooting outside Empire State Building leaves 2 dead, 4 wounded
- Video: Police officer on routine traffic stop begs for life before being killed
- Man arrested for attacking stepdaughter—with hot McDonald’s fries
- Police arrest mother of emaciated 10-year-old forced to live sealed in closet
- NYS Mom high on ‘bath salts’ Tasered to death after attacking 3-year-old son
- Explosion that levels LI house, kills tot, caused by propane tanks
- Bronx 4-year-old boy out past bedtime killed by stray bullet
- 8-year-old slashes fellow school student with blade in schoolyard fight
- Children arrive home from school to find parents dead in murder-suicide
- Police charge dead man with attempted murder
Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at email@example.com.