New York Road Runners (NYRR) and Eleven Madison Park, a Michelin three-star restaurant, will hold a Marathon After-Party fundraiser on the evening of the ING NYC Marathon, Sunday, November 4, 2012. The premier event of New York Road Runners, the ING New York City Marathon is one of the world’s great road races, drawing more than 100,000 applicants annually.
The Marathon After-Party is a fundraiser to support NYRR’s youth running programs, specifically, Mighty Milers and Young Runners, the organization’s free, school-based running programs available in NYC and nationally.
“So far we’ve sold 80% of the tickets and are hoping that our second wave of auction items, which were posted this week and include a lunch with Pat Kiernan at Spice Market and a NY1 newsroom tour, will bring in lots of bids,” says NYRR Youth and Community Services Spokesperson Laura Paulus.
Proceeds from the evening will help NYRR get 150,000 kids running this school year. They also have a pilot program in India, in addition to programs in East Timor and South Africa. Additionally, the organization offers a vast array of services and resources to teachers, parents and coaches.
“It’s going to be a very cool event, with guests being able to sample the fare of Eleven Madison Park’s James Beard award winning chef, Daniel Humm. Pat has graciously agreed to host, along with Deena Kastor, Olympic bronze medalist and American record holding marathon runner,” adds Paulus.
The male and female Marathon champs will be there as well, in addition to Meb Keflezighi, the 2009 New York City Marathon champion, and first American to win in NYC in 27 years, and NYRR CEO Mary Wittenberg.
“For anyone who follows elite runners, it’s sure to be a one-of-a-kind experience. And, if you like NY1 News, Pat Kiernan’s presence as host is an added bonus,” Paulus says.
All proceeds from the event will directly benefit NYRR Youth Programs and allow them to continue to provide services to the thousands of children they reach every year.
To get tickets
To find out all the details about the event, including the on-line auction and to get tickets, visit the NYRR website.
NYRR successes 2010 – 2011
• NYRR directly served more than 130,000 children locally, nationally, and internationally, a 30% increase over the previous year
• NYRR established running programs in 725 schools and community centers, a 15% increase over the previous year
• Mighty Milers in the USA ran over 4.1 million miles, a 33% increase over the previous year and a NEW RECORD!
• Mighty Milers in the USA earned 107, 707 marathon medals, a 49% increase over the previous year
• 16,000 public school students participated in the Developmental Track and Field Series, a 33% increase over the previous year
• NYRR Youth Jamborees broke all attendance records with more than 9,000 attendees, a 13% increase over the previous year
• NYRR staged 64 youth events for more than 31,000 participants, an increase of 12% and 55% respectively over the previous year
• NYRR’s new community services teams participated in 483 community events with 56,915 participants
• Launched Events to Run, which consists of 5 event planning guides so schools can use NYRR expertise to host their own youth running and fitness event
• Awarded fifty $500 grants to schools and non-profits to put on youth running and fitness events
• 1.2 million miles run in March during our Miles for Books challenge which resulted in 310 Mighty Milers sites earning 37,000 books
• Awarded 27 summer running camp scholarships
• Debuted high school XC summer training program for NYC students (free)