When it comes to holidays, September 16 is a biggy. While kids are enjoying National Play-Doh Day and husbands are busy appreciating National Wife Appreciation Day, if you’re looking for a little spice in your life, head south of the border. Just in time for Mexico’s Independence Day, September 16 is also National Guacamole Day!
The Scoop on Avocados
Guacamole is a delicious treat that has been enjoyed for centuries. Invented by the Aztecs,this nutritious snack is made from avocados and packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Plus, the “good” monounsaturated fat in avocados helps reduce cholesterol levels too. Mexico is the world’s largest producer of fresh avocados, harvesting over 2 billion pounds in 2005.
Whether you dip it, grill it or spread it, why not serve up some delicious guacamole today in honor of National Guacamole Day?
15 Killer Guacamole Recipes
- Holy Moly Guacamole – This 5-star recipe, from the Hungry Girl, calls for fat-free plain Greek yogurt, young peas, 1 medium avocado, lime juice, minced garlic, fresh cilantro, jalapenos, cherry or grape tomatoes, cumin, chile powder, onion and pepper.
- Guacamole – Alton Brown shares his popular, 5-star recipe that calls for 3 avocados, lime, kosher salt, cumin, cayenne, onion, roma tomatoes, cilantro and garlic. Delish!
- The World’s Smoothest Guacamole with Sour Cream – You’ll need 2 avocados, lime, garlic cloves, red onion, roasted cumin, sea salt, cayenne pepper and a couple tablespoons of sour cream.
- Guacamole – This super-popular, 5-star recipe calls for 3 avocados, lime, salt, diced onion, fresh cilantro, roma tomatoes, and cayenne pepper.
- Guacamole – This 5-star recipe, from the Barefoot Contessa, calls for 4 avocados, lemon juice, hot sauce, red onion, garlic, kosher salt and a tomato.
- Classic Guacamole – You’ll need 4 avocados, lemons, garlic, tomato, cilantro, red onion, cumin, jalapeno chiles and seasoning for this classic dip.
- Guacamole Autentico Recipe – This one is the real deal.
- Guacamole with Cumin-Dusted Tortilla Chips – This recipe, from Bobby Flay, includes homemade chips made from flour or blue corn tortillas, 4 avocados, lime juice, fresh cilantro, red onion and a jalapeno pepper.
- South of the Border Guacamole – You’ll need cilantro, Serrano chiles, white onion, 4 avocados, lime juice, salt and a tomato for this one.
- Chunky Guacamole – If you like your guac with a little more substance to it, check out this 5-star recipe from Elle Krieger.
- Grilled Guacamole – This smokin’ recipe calls for 4 avocados, red onion, jalapeno pepper, reduced-fat sour cream, lime juice, garlic, hot pepper sauce, cherry tomatoes and fresh cilantro. Don’t forget the grill!
- Salsa Guacamole – This recipe calls for 6 avocados, lemon juice, pre-made salsa, green onions, garlic powder and seasoning blend. Don’t forget the chips!
- Shannon Sharpe’s Smokin’ Hot Guacamole Recipe – Kick it up a notch with this recipe, which calls for chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- BLT Guacamole – Try this guacamole recipe, with a twist.
- Guacamole Tarts – Holy guacamole! These sweet treats look amazing!
Today is also National Stepfamily Day!