When it comes to delicious holidays, September 5 has got to be one of the very best food holidays of the entire year. It’s National Cheese Pizza Day! While the origins of National Cheese Pizza Day are unknown, folks have been enjoying pizza for centuries!
The History of Pizza
The earliest form of pizza was bread baked beneath stones of a fire, then seasoned with different toppings. Gennaro Lombardi is credited with opening the first pizzeria in New York City back in 1905. Lombardi’s is still considered one of America’s best pizzerias today. In 1957, frozen pizzas were introduced and the rest, as they say, is history.
Today’s pizzas can be made with just about any topping, sauce or crust combination you desire. Whether you prefer deep dish, stuffed or thin and crispy, one thing is for certain – Americans love pizza! In fact, Americans eat about 350 slices of pizza each second! Yep, per second! While pepperoni is the preferred topping for most American pizza lovers, who can resist a slice of pizza pie loaded with ooey, gooey melted cheese?
In honor of National Cheese Pizza Day, why not whip up one or two of the delicious cheese pizza recipes listed below and throw a family pizza party? Say cheese, please!
20 Best Darn Cheese Pizza Recipes Around
- Pizza Dough – Great homemade pizza pie starts with a great homemade dough! This popular, 5-star recipe, from Bobby Flay, calls for bread flour, sugar, instant dry yeast, kosher salt and olive oil.
- Best Cheese Pizza – This homemade pizza includes fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Pizza Pizzas – This popular, 5-star recipe, from Alton Brown, calls for sugar, kosher salt, olive oil, bread flour, pizza sauce, fresh herbs, red pepper flakes and 3 types of cheese.
- Four Cheese Pizza – This simple-to-make, 5-star recipe, from Pillsbury, calls for Pillsbury refrigerated pizza crust, fresh Parmesan, provolone, Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, tomato pasta sauce and dried basil leaves.
- Cameron’s Four-Cheese Pizza – Wolfgang Puck shares this pizza recipe that calls for homemade pizza dough, homemade pesto, oven-dried tomatoes, fresh herbs, Fontina, goat cheese, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- White Four-Cheese Pizza with Basil and Garlic – You’ll need a tube of refrigerated pizza dough, garlic cloves, mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesean and fresh goat cheese and fresh basil for this recipe from Bon Appetit.
- Three-Cheese Pizza – This recipe, from Good Housekeeping, calls for fresh pizza dough, mozzarella, ricotta and Pecorino Romano cheese and a grill!
- Tomato-Basil Pizza – This delicious pie, from The Pioneer Woman, calls for pizza dough, prepared pesto sauce, fresh mozzarella and Parmesan, roma tomatoes, olive oil and fresh basil leaves.
- Garlic and Herb Three-Cheese Pizza – This recipe, from Rachael Ray, calls for either store-bought or homemade crust, garlic, soft cheese, lemon zest, provolone, ricotta and thyme.
- Roasted Red Pepper-Tomato Pizza with Goat Cheese, Basil and Red Chili Oil – That just about sums it up!
- Spicy Cheese Pizza – You’ll need uncut sourdough or Italian bread, fontina, provolone and feta cheeses, olive oil, oregano, crushed red pepper, tomatoes and kalamata olives for this spicy pizza from Bon Appetit.
- Pizza Margherita – This 5-star recipe calls for a pre-made, thin pizza crust, olive oil, garlic cloves, basil leaves, tomatoes, basil leaves and mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Arugula, Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza – This 5-star recipe, from Elle Krieger, calls for arugula, 1 red onion, olive oil, whole-wheat tortillas and reduced-fat goat cheese.
- Artichoke and Feta Cheese Pizza – This pizza recipe, from Bon Appetit, calls for 1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts, yellow cornmeal, a tube of refrigerated pizza crush dough, plum tomatoes, herb-seasoned feta cheese and a sweet onion. Sweet!
- Mushroom and Three-Cheese Pizza – Besides a homemade dough, you’ll need wild mushrooms, fontina, pecorino and goat cheese, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary and prosciutto.
- English Muffins Cheese Pizza – Simple to make and fun to eat.
- Pizza Bubble Ring – This pizza with a twist would be perfect for parties!
- Pear Pesto Pizza – Besides mozzarella, blue cheese and Gorgonzola cheese, you’ll also need walnuts, basil pesto sauce and Red Bosc pears for this ‘pearfect’ pizza.
- Macaroni and Cheese Pizza – Bet the kids will love this 5-star recipe.
- Grilled Pizza with Spicy Hummus, Vegetables, Goat Cheese and Black Olives – Tired of the same ho-hum pizza? Check out this 5-star pizza recipe from Bobby Flay.
Happy National Cheese Pizza Day! September 5 is also Be Late for Something Day, just don’t be late for pizza!