Matanuska-Susitna Valley Events for The Week Ahead from September 30th to October 7th include the following:
• Matanuska-Susitna Borough will have a General Election in The Week Ahead on October 2nd. Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. Be sure and Vote.
• Mat-Su College announces its 5th consecutive candidates’ debate for all Valley State House and Senate seats from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., October 4th, in Room 103 in the Fred and Sara Machetanz Building. There will be three parts to the program: Introductions, Q & A Period, and Final Statements. If time allows, candidates will be able to answer questions from the audience following the final statements..
• My House, a nonprofit organization , will hold its monthly meeting, Thursday, October 4th at 10 a.m. in the Wasilla Bible Church on Deskas Road. (This road runs along side Burchell High School.) My House provides shelter for unaccompanied youth in the Valley. It supports the over 800 homeless or abandoned youth in this area. Go to their website www.myhousematsu.org for more information.
• US Army Air Force Band will give a concert in Willow on Thursday, October 4th from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Willow Community Center. Sponsored by The Library Association.
• Mat-Su Valley Solar Tour as part of the National Solar Tour, will have a self-guided drive tour on October 6th beginning at 9 a.m., which will cover off-grid homes, an off grid cabin in Hatchers Pass, plus a number of electrical-grid-tied homes and businesses. Solar thermal heating systems, a small-scale wind system and one geothermal heating system will be shown. The tour is free. You can visit one location or all. Please respect the open times. Details and directions can be found at alaskasolartour.org. The Mat-Su tour is hosted by volunteers from the Alaska Center for Appropriate Technology.
• The Reindeer Farm at 5561 S. Bodenburg Loop Road in the Butte area will begin its FALL FAMILY FUN DAYS, in the week ahead. October 6th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. will be the first one, followd by October 13th, 20th, and 27. Cost is $10 per person from age 3 and up. Call Denise Hardy for more information at 907-745-4000 or email@example.com. Visit their website at www.reindeerfarm.com
• Mat-Su Birders Wild Bird Club will meet at the Palmer Public Library meeting room on October 10th at 7 p.m. Bob Winckler will be the featured speaker. His topic will be “Identifying Alaska’s Bird Species.”
• Jazz with Sherm is on Sundays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Pizza Thyme/Aardvark Catering in the East Lake Mall, Big Lake.
• Come play nine-game cribbage tournament Thursdays, from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at North Bowl in Wasilla, 1/4 mile west of Seward-Meridian, on the south side of Palmer-Wasilla Highway. Refresher and newcomer classes are available. For more information, call 315-4398.
• Big Lake Clothing is in need of donations – jackets, boots, snowpants, long underwear, scarves, mittens, gloves and hats will all be welcome. Any questions please feel free to e-mail or call Christy at 775-3238 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Big Lake Club and Vendor show will be on October 13th. Space is limited so get your applications in ASAP. CLUB & VENDOR SHOW REGISTRATION
If you have meetings, events or something you would like to have listed here, please email me at email@example.com. Thanks.
Subscribe to this column to get reviews, recaps, and latest news regarding events and happenings about the Matanuska-Susitna Valley, Alaska, sent directly to your inbox. If you enjoyed this article please click the social media links above and to the left to share it with your friends. You can also subscribe to my page on Facebook here. You can also follow me on Twitter.