Chili and cornbread…how does that sound for dinner tonight? This is a quick and easy recipe for classic meal. While this recipe calls for ground beef, ground turkey can be substituted. A fun alternative is to serve the chili with a bowl of corn chips.
Just plain chili
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 pound ground beef
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 large onion, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, grated
• 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes including juice
• 1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
• Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• Frank’s Hot Sauce
Cooked brown rice, optional
1. Heat olive oil in a stockpot.
2. Add ground beef, chili powder and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
3. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, beans and tomato paste. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve in a bowl, atop brown rice if desired. Garnish with suggested toppings to taste.