It’s marathon week in New York City, which means there are a variety of activities for runners and fans to participate in. Despite the impending “Frankenstorm,” many of the activities are still planned to happen. However, be sure to check with the organization before attending to ensure the event is still happening as scheduled due to the impending threat of severe weather.
Here are the best activities to attend during ING New York City Marathon Week:
Sunday, October 28
- Kick off Marathon Week with the Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff, a five-mile race that runs through Central Park. Registration is closed, but spectators are welcome. The race kicks off at 8:30 a.m.
- The 2013 Nissan Pathfinder makes its second stop on the Nissan Path to the Park Tour at the Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff (9:30 – 11:30 a.m.) near 67th Street. Fans will have an opportunity to win free merchandise and even meet Kara Goucher and Ryan Hall at select stops.
Monday, October 29 – Wednesday, October 31
Get free merchandise from Nissan Path to the Park Tour, making stops throughout the week:
- 10/29 – Herald Square, 1- 3 p.m.
- 10/30 – Financial District (Merrill Lynch Bull), 4 – 6 p.m.
- 10/31 – Grand Central Station, 4 – 6 p.m.
Thursday, November 1
- “Marathon in a Motorcoach” tours will be held at 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. The tour provides an overview of the course and includes guides who provide commentary. Tickets are required.
- Join Kara Goucher for a run at 6:30 p.m. The run kicks off from Nissan Path to the Park Tour’s latest stop at RUN by Foot Locker at 34 E. 14th Street. The 2013 Nissan Pathfinder will be at the stop with free merchandise from 6 – 8 p.m.
Friday, November 2
- “Marathon in a Motorcoach” tours will be held at 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. The tour provides an overview of the course and includes guides who provide commentary. Tickets are required.The expo opens today at the Javits Center (11th Avenue at 38th Street). Runners can pick up their packets and merchandise; non-runners are invited to participate in the festivities and buy marathon weekend merchandise.
- At the expo, meet Olympians Kara Goucher (1 – 2 p.m.) and Ryan Hall (2:30 – 3:30 p.m.).
- Head to the Marathon Lounge at the Time Warner Center (Columbus Circle) for the next stop on Nissan Path to the Park Tour from 12 – 2 p.m. The Marathon Lounge will be open to the general public from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. and provides an opportunity to learn about the history of the marathon.
- The Parade of Nations and Marathon Opening Ceremony will be held in Central Park from 5:30 – 7 p.m, capping off with a fireworks show.
Saturday, November 3
- “Marathon in a Motorcoach” tours will be held at 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. The tour provides an overview of the course and includes guides who provide commentary. Tickets are required.Last chance to win free merchandise from the Nissan Path to the Park Tour. Head to the Dash to the Finish Line in Central Park. The 2013 Nissan Pathfinder will be there with free merchandise from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Ryan Hall will also be making an appearance.
- The Marathon Lounge at the Time Warner Center will be open today from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Sunday, November 4
- It’s marathon day! Find your location along the course to cheer on the runners. First Avenue is a favorite place for many living in the city, but for a quieter cheering area, opt to energize runners in Queens or as they head down the Upper West Side.
- Head to JackRabbit’s “Official Cheering Zone” at East End Bar & Grill from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. With free technical shirts for spectators and a Most Creative Sign Competition, it promises to be a good time.
- After you’ve cheered on your friends and family, head to the Nissan Alpine Stage (Marcus Garvey Park at 120th Street & 5th Avenue) for a meet and greet with Kara Goucher (2:30 – 3:30 p.m.).
- If you’re not too exhausted, join NYRR at the Marathon After-Party, which kicks off at 7 p.m. Registration starts at $350 per person and all proceeds benefit NYRR’s Young Runners.