We are finally at the halfway point of the season and that means the Heisman race is hitting the final stretch of big games. Unfortunately for Geno Smith, and his West Virginia Mountaineers, they proved back to back trips to the state of Texas, was too much to handle. Geno still managed to throw for one touchdown and zero interceptions. Colin Klein was special in his victory over the Iowa State Cyclones. Braxton Miller is becoming unstoppable for the Ohio State Buckeyes, and would be getting much more consideration if Ohio State wasn’t on probation. Braxton is a difference maker with the ball in his hands and he is adapting very well to the Urban Meyer system. A newcomer to the Heisman list is Johnny Manziel out of Texas A & M. He has a big game against LSU this weekend, and that performance will carry a lot of weight with the voters.
1. Geno Smith: After their loss last weekend, I have a hard time keeping him at number one on the list. The good thing is they have a chance to make amends against a top five Kansas State team at home. Geno has 25 touchdowns and zero interceptions on the season.
2. Colin Klein: Stats don’t tell the story of his accomplishments, but a win next week at West Virginia will catapult him to the top of the list. Maybe.
3. Braxton Miller: He has over 900 yards rushing already and is one of the most dangerous players in the country.
4. EJ Manuel: If Florida State runs the table and in the ACC and beats Florida, expect EJ to be invited to New York.
5. Johnny Manziel: The freshmen sensation has Braxton Miller ability. His dominating statistics will be put to the test this week.
6. Marqise Lee: Hard to find a better receiver in the country. Lee makes huge plays down field.
7. De’Anthony Thomas: Thomas doesn’t get the ball enough to be considered a legitimate Heisman candidate right now. The Ducks have an abundance of talent around him.
8. Manti Te’o: He is the leader of the best scoring defense in the nation
9. Stefphon Jeffereson: He is leading the nation in rushing yards and touchdowns, but won’t get the respect while playing for Nevada.
10. Matt Barkley: He is putting up pretty good numbers and the toughest part of the schedule is coming up. USC has chances for huge wins to end the season.
If you liked this article, click the Subscribe button to receive email updates when a new article is published. Follow William on Facebook and Twitter or connect on Pinterest and Stumbleupon. Find more by William on his music and sports page or New York group. Submit your mailbag questions via Tumblr.