Cooler weather is approaching and along with that comes a fresh, new variety of fruits and vegetables. When the weather becomes cooler, memories of those comfort foods many of us grew up on come mind. Think of mac’n cheese or hearty beef stew, but that brings along some consequences to your diet that you have been so diligent about maintaining. If you opt instead for the fall harvest of fresh fruits and vegetables these can keep you warm and cozy on the inside while maintaining your diet. These great, wholesome comfort foods will fulfill your cravings and help keep you full.
Comfort foods are aptly named; they give you that satisfying, comforting feeling after you eat them. A key way to ward off your comfort food cravings for less than healthy fare is by eating a balanced diet of foods that give you a sustained, full feeling. This will keep you from being tempted to stray from your healthy lifestyle, and the fall harvest is filled with foods that will keep your hunger healthfully at bay.
Healthy foods are full of vitamins, minerals and nutrients the body needs. Comfort foods make you feel full longer. Protein and fiber are great ways to keep the body happy and signal your brain when you’re full.
Some healthy foods to choose from include:
- Chicken vegetable soup with carrots, onions, celery, peas and green beans. Everyone loves a nice hot bowl of soup on a cool day.
- Chili made with ground turkey or chicken is a healthy and tasty variation.
- Mashed Cauliflower in lieu of mashed potatoes is a nice, tasty change. Add this to your Shephard’s pie, better yet try ground turkey instead of hamburger to really add to the health benefits.
- Turkey meatballs cooked with carrots, canned tomatoes, squash, onion and garlic served over a bed of rice is delicious, healthy and hearty.
- Fruits, like apples, plums, peaches and cherries are tasty and are a great way to make fruit crumbles topped over oats and topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Baked apples with a touch of butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar make great deserts.
Be creative and enjoy the fall season. Try the different varieties of squash available during this fall season and see what recipes you can come up with. By keeping with lean proteins, and adding healthy fruits and vegetables you can maintain that healthy lifestyle you worked so hard for and still enjoy the comforts of the season. There are many great alternatives to every season of food, so enjoy and be healthy.