“Grey’s Anatomy” made its season 9 premiere on Sept. 27, 2012 with an emotionally packed episode that was brutally multiple-Kleenex-worthy. We caught up with the docs of “Grey’s Anatomy” one month after the tragic plane crash that ended season 8.
At the time we knew that Lexie Grey was a casualty of the accident, but the body count didn’t end there. Before we even look at anything else, here’s the status of those who were on that plane:
- Meredith came out of the wreckage physically unscathed, but is now dealing with the emotional fall-out of her sister’s death, her husband’s injury, and the change happening all around her. She’s also picked up a harder edge that has earned her a nickname, but we’ll get to that in just a bit.
- Derek, as we know, practically destroyed his hand getting himself out of the wreckage, but on this day he was feeling ready to get back into surgery…Right up until he wasn’t; his hand went numb as he was about to operate.
- Cristina also made it through and has landed in Minnesota. Where it’s freezing…And there are no superstars. Something tells me this might not last very long, except for the minor, pesky detail that she is (understandably) frozen and unable to get back on a plane.
- Mark, we learned immediately, that he is in a coma with the cut-off of life support coming to an end, according to his Living Will.
- Arizona – All episode long we assumed that Arizona was dead. Callie was heartbroken and barely holding it together (and not just because of Mark), but a new candidate for her job came in…All signs pointed to no more Arizona. But at the end we learned her leg was amputated and she is drowning in depression.
Elsewhere in “Grey’s Anatomy” land…
Alex is making the rounds through the Residents; hitting the famed on-call rooms with at least two different women. Apparently we’re putting as much distance from the whole Morgan situation as possible – survivors guilt and all. Alex is leaving for Hopkins, but the new Peds Attending is kind of…How should we put this…Kind of douche-y. Naturally, Alex can’t just let someone who doesn’t seem to really care about the kids take over the Pediatric department at Seattle Grace, so chalk one more up for our favorite hospital.
With Mark in the coma, we were treated to several flashbacks throughout Going, Going, Gone, including a peek at Derek’s wedding day and Callie and Arizona’s wedding as well. As Richard goes through the emotionally excruciating process of ceasing Sloan’s life support with Derek and Callie by his side, we are given the brutal shot of Mark snuggling an infant Sofia and finally Mark, Callie, Sofia, and Arizona. Honestly, the tears were kind of being held at bay until they started the actually process of shutting down life support.
Sure, we’d caught the buzz that Eric Dane was moving on, but we were still crossing our fingers for a different outcome. But if there’s one thing “Grey’s” creator Shonda Rhimes does well, it’s gut-wrenching emotion.
Things weren’t all tears and heart-crushing moments, though. Bailey gleefully informed Meredith that the interns “Call you Medusa, the serpent-haired monster who turns folks to stone. Hey, this is not a bad thing. You want to be the Attending with a scary nickname, it keeps your Residents in line. It strikes fear in their heart. Take it from the Nazi; it’s good to be feared.” And then Bailey’s new nickname, “B.C.B, Booty Call Bailey,” it was good to get a few chuckles in.
Things were rounded out with Dr. Hunt paying April a visit…On the farm…With pigs, in order to offer her job back and bring her back to Seattle Grace.
We should note that obviously we have new Residents on hand, and thus far not falling in love with them, but we’ll give them time to grow on us. Though that might be helped greatly if there are no more callous references to the crash; just, you know, food for thought.
Next week on “Grey’s” we’ll head back to after the crash and see exactly how we got to this point.
Nine seasons in, what did you think of the “Grey’s Anatomy” season opener?
Watch new episodes of “Grey’s Anatomy” Thursdays on ABC at 9:00/8:00 c.
Cast of Grey’s Anatomy:
Ellen Pompeo ~ Dr. Meredith Grey
Sandra Oh ~ Dr. Cristina Yang
Patrick Dempsey ~ Dr. Derek Shepherd
Kevin McKidd ~ Dr. Owen Hunt
Justin Chambers ~ Dr. Alex Karev
Chandra Wilson ~ Dr. Miranda Bailey
James Pickens Jr. ~ Dr. Richard Webber
Sara Ramirez ~ Dr. Callie Torres
Eric Dane ~ Dr. Mark Sloan
Chyler Leigh ~ Dr. Lexie Grey
Jessica Capshaw ~ Dr. Arizona Robbins
Jesse Williams ~ Dr. Jackson Avery
Sarah Drew ~ Dr. April Kepner
Don’t miss out on any of our TV mom moments or lessons, SUBSCRIBE here to receive free email notifications. You can also keep up with me on Facebook and Twitter @TVMoms101 or via email.