– Extinction stinks: Wouldn’t it be cool if we had wild parrots in the US? We used to- the now extinct Carolina parakeets! New studies suggest their closest relatives are the South American quaker, or monk parrots, which ironically are established as ferals in much of the Carolina parakeets’ former range. Extinct Carolina parakeet gives glimpse into evolution of American parrots www.guardian.co.uk; recommended to us by Marc Johnson of Foster Parrots. –Populations of the Sun Parakeet and the Gray-cheeked Parakeet have declined rapidly because of habitat loss and the pet trade. The Soccorro Parakeet is down to as few as 250 mature adults. From Care2Causes. http://www.care2.com/causes/20-animals-you-didnt-know-are-going-extinct.html#ixzz27IJ3YNZC
– Foul mouthed cockatoo’s owner cries “Foul” over fine: The Rhode Island owner of a cussin’ cockatoo that has been harassing the neighbor (who also happens to be the owner’s ex-husband) is appealing the $15 fine for violating a pet noise ordinance, according to “The Boston Globe”.
– The real macaw: freeflying in slowmo, no less: The Tube Media – MACAWS in SlowMotion! Rainforest Research … Thanks to Emmett Renshaw.
– Parakeets, often underrated, are third best parrot talkers, after all: Erwin speaks. The Australian Budgie – YouTube
– Last words of the celebrated Alex the African grey parrot, protege of Dr. Irene Pepperberg were reportedly, “You be good. I love you.”
– Long Island Parrot Society‘s Parrot Expo: Sat. 10/6; 9-5; Freeport Recreation Center, Freeport, Long Island, NY. Many colorful birds, and vendors; VIP guests include avian behaviorist Lara Joseph, who will do two presentations; Amy Hopkins of The Parrot Club speaking on bird safety; Lisa Kelley, author of “The Lonely Parrot”; Karrie Noterman, owner of Natural Inspirations Parrot Cages;on creating parrot habitats, and examiner George Sommers, author of “I SAW WILD PARROTS IN NEW YORK CITY!” www.liparrots.org-
– Bird owners: University of Guelph (Canada) and U. of Utrecht (Netherlands) are looking for you to participate in an online survey on bird behavior and environment. All birds from budgies to macaws are welcome including both healthy and birds with health or behavior issues. http://parrotsurvey.com/#
–Bennett Hennessey, the Executive Director of Asociación Armonía, will give a presentation on the macaws of Bolivia to The Parrot Club in East Hartford on 10/9/12. Bolivia has 12 macaw species and is the best country to see them. Tuesday, 10/9/12, 7:30 p.m. (doors open at 7:00 p.m.) Veteran’s Memorial Clubhouse, 100 Sunset Ridge Rd, E. Hartford, CT. Admission $3 for nonmembers. Directions at www.theparrotclub.org
– Congratulations to Boston’s own Linda Rubin, on her SPBE Founder’s Award from Birds Of A Feather Show, presented by Dr. Al Decoteau; only the fifth time awarded since 1985. Linda gives us the lowdown on judging and her talks at the American Federation For Aviculture convention. http://cockatielsplusparrots.blogspot.com/ And here’s her bio!: Linda Rubin, Contributor of BIRD TALK Magazine and BirdChannel … — And congratulations too: to Dr. Al E. Decoteau on the Lifetime Achievement Gold AVY Award from AFA; the highest avicultural award in the industry. Read more in the upcoming “SPBE Journal” and “AFA Watchbird Magazine”!
– Parrots rescued in India: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/exotic-birds-marmosets-rescued/article3942930.ece?homepage=true But apparently not for long Exotic animals, birds returned to businessman man – The Times of From Abishek Vivekanand and Emmett Renshaw.
– Better late than never: Lara Joseph addresses parrot behavioral issues and avian vet Dr. Susan Orosz talks parrot health at the Leslie Science and Nature Center in Ann Arbor MI Sat. Sept. 30 1:30-5:30. Tickets are $55 (includes lunch).HABRI Central – Events: DETAILS: Fall Speaker Event
-Bloggers’ Delight: Oh, that King O: Feels like Home « Parrot Nation and Mugsy and Me « Parrot Nation the story of a blue and gold macaw at Parrot Garden and Lots of Cockatoos « Parrot Nation by Patricia Sund. —Blue crowned conures ( the “star” of “Paulie” and one of the main characters in “The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill” are profiled by Frank Indiviglio. http://bitly.com/OiwnYl.- — Sally Blanchard “Bird Talk” articles: uncut and unedited: https://companionparrotonline.com/Bird_Talk2.html
–Best Parrot Videos — Enjoy, Learn, Share our Feathered Friends
– Rescue me: A.P.R All Parrot Rescue — Scooter day 5 Coming home~ Viki Bullock — Dusty and Smudgy « Parrot Nation but not for long, once Patricia Sund (of the late “Bird Talk”) gets through.– http://www.featheredfriendsrescue.org/win-aauction.html– Come along to Woodie’s Wings Parrot Club in Derby, England on 10/2 and meet Steve Brookes of WILD PARROTS UP CLOSE parrot tours. — Free as a bird: Parrots belong in the jungle, not cages; say some. You can download FREE your own 8 X 10″ poster here promoting this cause. .For Parrots Posters For Parrot Advocates « Feathered Angels — Lights, camera, action: Help in the making of a film about parrot abuse and rescue! ChipIn: Parrot Film
– Scoping out the competition: This month’s World Parrot Trust‘s “Flock Talk” newsletter includes 50 things a parrot owner should know, profile of the white cheeked Amazon, Test your Parrot IQ and more. firstname.lastname@example.org — Miss “Bird Talk” yet? There’s always Parrot Magazine – the latest in advice and information for …
– Crackers for their parrots: Elke Hanna of Germany reports that upon offering her timneh African grey parrot a cracker, “He goes; ‘Thank you;’, I got so excited and I said, ‘Oh what a good bird;’ he drops the cracker and says; ‘Get it!’, lmao.” — Says Brent Rodriguez: “I love my bird, he makes the best wing man ( no pun intended) We went to Starbucks today and he was the hit of the shop. Some lady got me a coffee and thanked me up and down for bringing him in. It made her day .”-
– Last word this week: Amazon Parrot singing Yo Ho – A Pirate’s Life – YouTube thanks to Diane Dwyer.