– Election ’12 Parrot Quote : “If Big Bird was the symbol of the first debate, the parrot would be the symbol of this one,” says President Barack Obama‘s adviser David Axelrod about Gov. Willard “Mitt” Romney‘s tendency to mostly agree with Obama‘s foreign policy in the third presidential debate.
– The debate dust between Pres. Obama and Gov. Romney may finally be settling, but surprising controversies divide bird clubs, breeders, conservationists and rescue groups as outlined by this examiner in November’s The Pet Gazette. Click on the cover image; Go to Page 10 and click on the page to enlarge.
– Break out the tin foil hats:In 1936 short, Three Stooges Parrot Says Barack Obama – YouTube Or does it? Judge for yourself. — African grey‘s preference clearly expressed in Smokey says Yes, We Can! – YouTube
– Better than a chicken in every pot: Obama: Give every American a free parrot | MadMikesAmerica
– Gov. Romney made some inroads in the avian community as well, in this tongue in cheek (we hope) offering from “The Onion”. Romney Courts Hispanic Vote With Animated Sombrero … – The Onion
– And Romney operatives have been known to go negative. Anti Obama Parrot – YouTube
– “Parrots for Obama” button shown above designed by Rebekah Harp, who donates part of her profits to animal rescue groups. There’s apparently no corresponding “Parrots for Romney” button.
– White House to bird house in 2016?: Cockatoo profiled on Food Network‘s “Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee”. Lee is gal pal of NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo, speculative 2016 presidential candidate. Sandra Lee: Having a Cockatoo Is Like Having a Dog – PEOPLE Pets .Thanks to Ellen Schloss. EDITOR’S NOTE: As with Cee Lo and his cockatoo, Lady on “The Voice”; Lee has met with some criticism; that she might generate a pet cockatoo fad, “cockatoos are nothing like dogs”, etc. This “parrot’s beak” editor feels that Ms. Lee has a platform and potentially a unique opportunity to educate others about the pluses – and very real minuses of bird ownership.
– There’s always a few lesser known candidates campaigning for the presidency along with the Republicans and Democrats. Among those making a spirited bid at least on Facebook are Snowball the cockatoo, whose dancing abilities convinced scientists that humans aren’t the only animals with rhythm (see Lords of the dance); and King Crayon, a California conure who might not want too much info released about his past exploits as Blackbeak the pirate.
– The LAST presidential birds were Lyndon Johnson‘s lovebirds– and before them; Caroline Kennedy‘s budgie and canaries. Had Sen. John McCain prevailed in ’08, another presidential budgie would have been inaugurated. Going back in time, Martha Washington had a parrot that George reportedly despised, and Andrew Jackson‘s parrot had to be escorted from the late president’s wake when the bird started cussing. While dogs seem to be the preferred pet of modern presidents, several 19th century executives in chief had parrots, canaries and other kinds of birds. Interestingly, America’s only three petless presidents did not get re-elected.
– Vote to help parrot rescues win grant money from Animal Rescue Site’s Heartwarming Stories contest. Austin the cockatiel fought free of a hawk, plummeting to the ground. A sharp-eyed observer contacted Mickaboo, who got veterinary help. Austin has a new human family who say he is a wonderful singer. Vote daily THROUGH NOVEMBER 11 at Animal Rescue Site for Mickaboo by clicking for “A Little Bird That Could“, then click VOTE. For daily voting reminders – email email@example.com.
– Locate your Hurricane Sandy lost pets through https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hurricane-Sandy-Lost-and-Found-Pets/403922739676650?ref=stream from Cindy Clarke.
– Cockatoo kidnap caper at Burger King has Happy Meal ending. 9/4/1999 Rescue & Reunion of Kidnapped Cockatoo named “Charlie” Thanks for the heads-up, Dawn Korpalski.
– Birds by Joe Store burglarized in last Thursday night. Several birds including macaws and a golden conure were taken from the Middlesex, NJ store. Please call with any info including “If u notice anyone trying to move especially to cheap and fast” (exotic birds in the) “east coast area please contact me, ” Joe Reilly. 908.482.1171. News tip from Elke Hanna.
– Greater Charlotte Cage Bird Society Winter Bird Expo & Sale Sat. 11/10 9 – 4 & Sun. 11/11 9 -2 FREE! $100.00 door prize Sunday at 11. North Carolina Army National Guard 300 N. Sixth Street Belmont, NC. Contact Brenda Keels at 704-221-2736 or Tony Jones at 704-812-8283.
– Lost macaw in New Jersey: LOST Harlequin Macaw *Reward* (Sicklerville Area) – craigslist
– Meanwhile, “across the pond”; Tropical Bird Land in Leicestershire, England seems like a great take in for parrot fans; featuring freeflying macaws and other parrots. www.tropicalbirdland.com –And our English friends who are not watching US election results can attend Woodies Wings Parrot Club meeting in Derby Tuesday the 6th November.
– Rescue me: No peace and love for Nearly 100 animals removed from Woodstock home – Chicago New including 55 birds. From Viki Bullock.
– How to be a GREAT bird owner: http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/are-you-a-good-parrot-owner-or-a-great-one/
– A very short Amazon short From Emmett Renshaw.
– It’s not all about parrots: this examiner also looks at “The Top Ten Collectible Presidential Campaign Buttons” in the November “New England Antiques Journal.”Antiques Journal, Comprehensive Coverage of the World of Antiques Follow the prompts to get to the story on Page 30!