–Editor’s Note: Sat. 5 a.m…… deadline for this “From the parrot’s beak” —- because shortly I will be on my way to Connecticut to meet Amy Hopkins of the Parrot Club; continuing to New York for Long Island Parrot Society‘s Parrot Expo – where Amy is a a scheduled speaker and I am honored to be sharing an authors’ table to promote my book “I SAW WILD PARROTS IN NEW YORK CITY!” I’m told by Northeast American Federation for Aviculture chair Concetta Ferragamo (who will also be there) that the Expo is much bigger than the New England shows I’ve attended. It’s a homecoming of sorts as I was born in Rockville Ctr. and lived in Franklin Square, Long Island until I was 8.Sure hope the caffeine buzz from this Coke kicks in soon.
– Lady, Alex, Rio, Fred, Snowball: if you “Love those Celeb-Birdies”; read examiner George Sommers‘ October feature story in Pet Gazette Click on the cover image; scroll down to Page 10 and click on page to enlarge.
– Like it or not, it’s coming so Preparing Pet Birds for Winter – Birds – About.com is not a bad idea. Thanks to Arizona Exotic Birds Aviary.
– Selected shorts: It’s good to be the King: When King O Knocks – YouTube From Patricia Sund — Hyacinth Macaws in Brazil on Vimeo From The Parrot Club.– Baby parrot VIDEO0007 From Concetta Ferragamo. — Dr. Hess Examines a 58-year-old Moluccan Cockatoo. Thanks to Walter Birdman Clements
– $1,700 parrot stolen from North Dallas pet store | Crime Blog From Viki Bullock.
-Another ZuPreem recall, on medium/large and large FruitBlend With Natural Fruit Flavors maintenance formula bird foods; due to high calcium levels.The recall items have an expiration of 11/30/2013 Go to the link to check for UPC match, etc. It may only apply to food purchased at PetSmart as the original post was from there and it said that you can bring the food back to them. http://www.zupreem.com/fruitblendvoluntaryrecall from Sheldon Orloff, who adds that Flapping Feathers uses these treats as door prizes, but none of his current stock has the corresponding expiration date. He advises winners to check. — And if that’s not enough, Sioux-elyn Is of Australia warns that many new stove models include an insulation binder that give off toxic fumes potentially deadly to pet birds for the first week or more of use. It’s suggested that you buy from a local dealer and arrange to have them run the stove in store 3-4 days to get rid of the fumes. Also check “Consumer Reports” for more information. The fumes from self-cleaning ovens are also deadly to birds.
– Avian Dr. Stephanie Lamb of South Wilton Veterinary Group, Connecticut is seeking your help for a research project on the bacterial flora of avian skin. Participant birds will get a physical exam, CBC blood test and a skin culture at no cost to owners. Funding is needed. By providing financial support for this study, you will be helping birds for years to come. If you are interested in participating, contact South Wilton Veterinary Group at 203-762-2002.
– Showtime:Too much to choose! 9th Annual Parrot Palooza Oct 12-14th 2012 – Bird Paradise in Burlington, NJ; featuring the NJ Birdman and his exotic bird show and guest speakers including Robin Shewokis of Weymouth MA’s Leather Elves. Connecticut’s The Parrot Club members can get a FREE bus ride to the event; first come first served – contact Amy Hopkins 203-458-6290 email@example.com —Western Mass. Bird Expo is October 13, Chapin St., Ludlow, MA– The Catskill Exotic Bird Club holds its 21st annual bird show on 10/14 10-5 at Liberty Firehouse, 256 Sprague Avenue, Liberty NY. FOR (845) 292-5242 or (845) 807-6725 firstname.lastname@example.org — Society of Parrot Breeders and Exhibitors stages a rare “quad” show at Greenwood Volunteer Fire Co & Museum 45 Kernick Street • Warwick, RI Oct. 6-7 with judges including Boston’s Linda Rubin; Dr. Al Decoteau, Pat Tucker and Jim Heffernan. SPBE 2012 Show Calendar – Society of Parrot Breeders and … Read about a 2011 Quad Show Linda judged last year at http://cockatielsplusparrots.blogspot.com/2012/03/best-in-show-double-yellow-headed.html.— Long Island Parrot Society‘s Parrot Expo is Oct. 6 – with this examiner George Sommers scheduled to appear at the author’s table
www.birdclub.com — And Mass. Cage Bird Association holds a show Oct. 20; more info next week!
– As if deciding between Obama and Romney isn’t enough , elections will be held at the November 1st Connecticut Parrot Society meeting. Nominations from the floor will also be accepted. — CPS will again participate in the CT Pet Expo at the CT Convention Center in Hartford on Saturday, October 20th (11am-6pm) and Sunday, October 21st 11am-5pm). Volunteers are needed to assist both/either day(s) for a two-three hour shift. Please contact Neil McKinnon at 860-224-1175 or email@example.com. –And don’t forget the bus trip to Boston’s Museum of Science 11/3- contact Neil to reserve your space.
– Rescue Me: Frosty and Friends Exotic Bird Rescue, Inc. – How You Can Help — » 2012 » January » 10 Parrot Earth‘s Blog—If Center of Avian Care, Adoption and Rescue of Fargo, North Dakota (C.A.A.R.E.) can help anyone in the Northern Valley (Minnesota)(Karlstad, Viking, etc.) with their parrots due to wildfires, we are here for you! C.A.A.R.E. – Home– Bonnie Grafton: Thoughts on Kanab…and Best Friends .. , http://parrotnation.com/2012/10/04/negotiating-the-emotional-trenches/ and The Parrot Garden’s Family of Lilac Crowned Amazons …come to us from Patricia Sund
– “Chats” with Lisa Brandmeier – owner of Inca’s … – Parrot Earth’s B Thanks to Viki Bullock.
-Still missing “Bird Talk”? Here’s an alternative: In Your Flock
– Parrot nutrition suggestions from Sally Blanchard. https://companionparrotonline.com/Diet.html Sally’s most recent FREE online Companion Parrot newsletter just came out- if you’d like a free copy, send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
– New England Arts for Animals 13 month full color calendar is now available for only $10 + $2 s & h email@example.com