– HURRICANE WARNING: “Frankenstorm” aka Hurricane Sandy is coming to New England Monday through Wednesday. Dr. Amy Hopkins throws out a couple of “just in case” lifelines for you and your parrot. Link for CT people: http://theparrotclub.org/safetycorner/Safety_Corner_Emergency_Information_for_You_and_Your_Parrots_CT.pdf
Link for non-CT people: http://theparrotclub.org/safetycorner/Safety_Corner_Emergency_Information_for_You_and_Your_Parrots.pdf EDITOR’S NOTE: Yeah, the media often blows these things all out of proportion in search of a good story. But sometimes they get it right, as with last year’s Hurricane Irene which caused devastating damage to Parrot Toy Safari in upstate New York. Better to be safe than sorry. And now back to our regularly scheduled column.
– Fanged vampire parrot described by scientists. http://www.salon.com/2012/10/04/quote_of_the_day_fanged_vampire_parrot/ Thanks to my good friend Mike Muehe.
– Parrots Celebrate Halloween! – YouTube
– See The Parrot’s Monster Mash Party! online. A Halloween treat from Linda of Flapping Feathers.
– Violet- African grey with pumpkin aftermath – YouTube Thanks to Connecticut Parrot Society.
– Parrots, pirates and Halloween: American Federation of Aviculture‘s Rhode Island State Coordinator Constance Woodman and Northeastern Regional Director Concetta Ferragamo pose as pirates with parrot pals at the Roberson Museum in Binghamtonm, NY. — Pirate parrots at the Roberson Museum 2012 — And this message from a macaw pirate wannabe Real Pirates: Parrot – YouTube EDITOR’S NOTE: Not to rain on anyone’s candy corn, but there’s no historical record of pirates keeping parrots. The first reference to the pairing was in Robert Louis Stevenson‘s novel “Treasure Island”.
– Parrot spooks Larry, Moe and Curly in classic clip PT 2 The Three Stooges In If Body Meets Body – YouTube
– “Birds II”; Just because you’re paranoid.. “ possible screenplay: Concetta Ferragamo reports on her feathered flock: ” I went in their room and looked at them. They all said, ‘Hi, mama’ or ‘Hello’ all at the same time. I announced that I knew they were up to something. Five of them started laughing. Of course that only made me laugh with them. So, I figure…I am toast today. ”
– Timely info:Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: How to Address Fear in ParrotsThanks, Dawn Korpalski!
– Pet Halloween costume contest at Chase Veterinary Clinic, Middleboro, MA! Send your photo to Chasevet@gmail.com; entries accepted up until 11/2.
– On a dark and stormy night, what do the feral parrots of California do?All Weather Parrots – YouTube From Emmett Renshaw.
– Cape parrots‘ man-modified treat diet making future survival tricky, according to National Geographic video. http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/08/30/dead-birds-flying-rescuing-the-endangered-cape-parrot/ Thanks for this tip from Steven Boyes.
– Bird Sings His Heart Out – YouTube Thanks to Emmett Renshaw.
– Pollytics 2012: Get a snazzy “Parrots for Obama” button; very colorful and with a nice picture of an amazon parrot. No word on whether there’s a similar item for Gov. Willard “Mitt” Romney! parrots for obama button by thedogcoatlady on Etsy
–“Does Mixing Seed, Produce, and Pellets Provide a Healthy Diet?” asks the Journal of Avian Medicine. Findings indicate that birds eating 50% produce, 25% pellets and 25% seed were deficient in calcium and iron and consumed more than recommended fat levels – and the bird chose foods that exacerbated imbalances. Birds offered low-seed diets: 60% pellets, 22% produce, 18% seed still consumed too much fat, but had acceptable nutrients. Birds fed 75% pellets and 25% produce consumed diets within the recommendations for all measured nutrients and within parameters for fat consumption. Bottom line: owners should be encouraged to supplement pelleted diets with low energy-density fresh produce items. Thanks to Marc Johnson of Foster Parrots.
-Parrot relentlessly bugs cat. [VIDEO] – Wimp.com Thanks to Amy Yam. EDITOR’S NOTE: As noted many times in this column previously; mixing a natural predator like a cat or dog with a natural prey species like a parakeet is pretty scary behavior which can result in a gory ending, even when it seems cute and innocuous as in this video; and we recommend against it in all cases.
– Real life horror stories: – “I didn’t realize how bad the bird doo was,” Skeberdis said. “If you saw it, you’d probably think I was crazy.” Uh, yes…. Illinois hoarder ordered to get rid of hundreds of birds … News tip from Linda Bringle Pearl. and At least 200 birds, some dead, found in Aurora home — WGN from Irena Shulz — A parrot is among the victims of a Cruel mother left her starving children living in squalid … – Daily MailFrom Viki Bullock.
– A Bird’s 5 Senses – Birdtric- A Bird’s 5 Senses – Birdtricks.com picked up by Melissa Reome
–Tired of vaccuuming up feathers?: While recuperating from a heart preocedure, Steve Lazicki is making earrings out of moulted plumage help support his rescue. You can help by donating unwanted feathers to Lazicki’s Bird House & Rescue at 40 Charles Street Wakefield RI 02879. _- Beautiful art benefits parrot rescue globalnestbird on HubPages From Ellen Schloss.
– NATURE “The Real Macaw” | Nutcracker | PBS – YouTube
– Bird Lovers Club of Florida’s Oct. 21monthly features Jimmy from Animal Planet‘s “The Gator Boys“. Jimmy will enlighten on what parrots and ‘gators have in common! Former “bird Talk” contributor and current meisteress of the chop, Patricia Sund, will be guest appearing at the club’s Nov. 18 meeting. — According to Patricia, btw; the devil‘s diet is seed.. http://parrotnation.com/2012/09/11/the-devils-diet/
– The theme of Connecticut Parrot Society November 1 meeting is family game night — birdy Jeopardy! Congratulations to CPS on their 7th birthday, celebrated last month.Vice-President, Neil McKinnon completed the 2013 CPS calendar, now available at the meetings for $10. And plans are underway for their (good grief) annual holiday party.
– Flapping Feathers meeting is this Sunday, October 28th 1:30 pm Land and Sea Diner and Restaurant 20-12 Fair Lawn Avenue Fair Lawn, NJ 07410. Sheldon Orloff will be speaking about his adventures at the LIPS Expo on October 6th and the Catskill Show on October 14th. Wonder if he’ll mention meeting the “From the parrots beak” editor.
– “Flock Talk”, World Parrot Trust‘s October newsletter, profiles the great green macaw (may soon be added to the Endangered Species List), Test Your Parrot IQ, and a surprising use for kakapo doo.–Parrot Articles – Companion Parrot Online Magazine by Sally Blanchard — FREE test “fly” of new e-zine version of “Australian Aviary Life”! www.aviarylife.com.au
–Parrot Lovers’ Cruise sets sail from New Orleans, returning Nov. 4. Apparently they forgot to send a press pass to this examiner!
– Sassy the African grey flew out the door the morning of 10/20 in San Diego – owner’s name Kim Tran.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=431907133535066&set=a.246589032066878.60968.100001473487188&type=1&theater From Diane Cardullo.
– Happy Halloween and remember, NO chocolate or alcohol for birds and if your bird is part of the festivities (at a party, part of your pirate costume etc.) make sure the bird is in safe, warm and comfortable setting where it will be welcome.
– Coming next issue: so you think you’re almost done with politics and elections? Not quite; look for “From the parrot’s beak: pollytics 2012″ edition.
– Last word: Tailor the budgie on Halloween: Oct 23, 2012 12:15pm Thanks to Emmett Renshaw.