A new video, the fourth such clip, emerged from the upcoming Blu-ray and DVD release of Frank Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns, Part One” on Friday. Although very close in name to the blockbuster movie, “The Dark Knight Rises,” this is an animated film, in the manner of the original post-Tim Burton “Batman: The Animated Series” TV show.
There are less than two weeks to go before Part One of the film adaptation of the classic Frank Miller comic book mini-series – “The Dark Knight Returns” – is released. The new clip features loyal, aged, yet still alive Alfred Pennyworth and his employer, Bruce Wayne, AKA Batman.
“Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1” will be available on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download on Sept. 25 and is described as follows:
“… it’s been a decade since Bruce Wayne hung up his cape, following most of the other superheroes who had been forced into retirement. Facing the downside of middle age, a restless Bruce Wayne pacifies his frustration with race cars and liquor – but the bat still beckons as he watches his city fall prey to gangs of barbaric criminals known as The Mutants.
“The return of Harvey Dent as Two-Face finally prompts Wayne to once again don the Dark Knight’s cowl, and his dramatic capture of the villain returns him to crime-fighting – simultaneously making him the target of law enforcement and the new hope for a desolate Gotham City. Particularly inspired is a teenage girl named Carrie, who adopts the persona of Robin and ultimately saves Batman from a brutal attack by the Mutant leader. Armed with a new sidekick, and re-energized with a definitive purpose, the Dark Knight returns to protect Gotham from foes new…and old.”
The first trailer from the film was released in late July. The first clip from the film was released in late August.
Peter Weller provides the voice of Batman / Bruce Wayne; sadly, we do not get Kevin Conroy, arguably the voice considered to be the quintessential animated Batman voice.
Weller will be joined by David Selby as Commissioner Gordon, Ariel Winter as Carrie / Robin (yes, a girl Robin), Wade Williams as Two-Face and Michael McKean as Dr. Bartholomew Wolper. The film is directed by Jay Oliva, written by Bob Goodman and executive produced by Sam Register and Bruce Timm.
“Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2” is expected in early 2013.
The Blu-ray combo pack of the film will feature more than two hours of bonus content including:
- Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
- Sneak Peak at Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
- Featurette – “Her Name is Carrie … Her Role is Robin” – An all-new featurette. Experience the role of Robin, through the eyes of a female warrior.
- Featurette – “Batman and Me: The Bob Kane Story” – A documentary comprehensively chronicling the remarkable life of the creator of Batman.
- Two bonus episodes from Batman: The Animated Series handpicked by producer Alan Burnett: Two-Face, Parts 1 and 2
- Digital Comic – “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns” (digital comic with cover art and three full comic pages)