Over the last two years, the quarterback position has become the most important in fantasy football. Where there used to be a number of quarterbacks with similar numbers, there are now elite players that trump even the best running backs. When looking at the fantasy football Week 1 rankings, those same quarterbacks remain at the top of this list.
1. Aaron Rodgers – The best fantasy football quarterback in the NFL remains Green Bay Packers starter, Aaron Rodgers. In Week 1, Rodgers gets the San Francisco 49ers, a team that led the NFL in rushing defense in 2011. That means the Packers will have to throw the ball, which makes Rodgers the best start of the week.
2. Matthew Stafford – Jeff Fisher will work wonders with the St. Louis Rams defense, but it won’t improve drastically in his first season as head coach. The Detroit Lions have one of the best high powered passing offenses in the NFL, and with their running backs banged up, Matthew Stafford will pick up where he left off when he finished 2011 with over 5,000 passing yards.
3. Tom Brady – Tom Brady was one of three NFL quarterbacks to throw for over 5,000 yards in 2011. In 2012, the New England Patriots added his first real deep threat since Randy Moss in Brandon Lloyd. Expect Brady to continue to roll in 2012 and rack up a ton of fantasy football points for his owners.
4. Drew Brees – There is a real reason for concern in New Orleans with head coach Sean Payton suspended for the season. However, Drew Brees knows this offense inside and out, and without Payton there to rein him in, Brees might be willing to throw the ball all over the field. Expect 300 yards and a number of touchdowns against the Washington Redskins defense.
5. Jay Cutler – Some might consider this high, but Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall worked magic when they played together in Denver and fantasy football owners should expect no less with the Chicago Bears. The opposition is the Indianapolis Colts, who are in a major state of flux this season. Expect Cutler to Marshall to rule the day.
The rest of the quarterback fantasy football Week 1 rankings:
6. Matt Schaub
7. Matt Ryan
8. Eli Manning
9. Cam Newton
10. Tony Romo
11. Michael Vick
12. Peyton Manning
13. Robert Griffin III
14. Philip Rivers
15. Russell Wilson
For e-mail updates whenever a new article is posted, please click here and use the SUBSCRIBE button to follow me. Also join me on Twitter: @starvingdogs, GooglePlus, or join my group on Facebook.