Election Season Prayer Focus for USA Elections
(Although the USA contains only 6% of the world’s population, we appeal to Christians everywhere to pray for our elections. The reality is that the entire world is affected by our leadership in the world)
“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” ― 2 Chronicles 7:14
1. National: Pray that God’s plans and purposes for our nation will be established during this election season. Pray that we will be a nation which follows God and is a blessing to the nations of the earth.
“Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD” – Psalm 33:12.
Pray that the righteousness leaders, the ones of God’s choosing, will be elected in every congressional race, every senate race, and to the office of the presidency. And pray that there be a removal of the wicked and evil influences from within and around our governmental leaders.
“Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” ―Proverbs 14:34
2. State and local: Pray that righteous leaders will be elected to every office at the state and local level.
“When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, but when the wicked rule, the people groan.” ―Proverbs 29:2
3. Media: Grant a spirit of truthfulness in the elections, particularly on the part of all media. Grant a spirit of fairness and honesty in the reports created by all members of the media, and give discernment and wisdom to citizens as they seek information from the media.
“Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, but those who deal truthfully are His delight.” ―Proverbs 12:22
4. Voters: Pray that each citizen will be convicted to vote for the leaders who stand for righteousness, integrity and morality. Pray that God’s Spirit will overshadow each one as they make their decisions. Guide all those who will vote in this year’s elections with a sense of discernment and sound judgment, and let that discernment in turn bring discerning leaders into office
“And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord. And his delight shall be in the fear of the Lord. He shall not judge by what his eyes see, or decide by what his ears hear.” ―Isaiah 11:2-3
5. Election officials: Pray that every official involved in the election process will serve with honesty and integrity of heart.
“The Lord abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are his delight.” Proverbs 11:1
6. Those praying: Pray that God will energize and sustain His people to call out to Him day and night in extraordinary prayer during this season.
“And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a Spirit of grace and supplication.” ―Zechariah 12:10
“But when the people of Israel cried out to the LORD, the LORD raised up a deliverer for the people of Israel, who saved them.” ― Judges 3:9
7. The Church: Pray that the church will be fully awakened, engaged and empowered during this critical season, and understand the urgency and importance of this election and its implications for the advancement of God’s purposes in our nation and around the world. Pray also that God will awaken His people to a commitment to justice, to the sanctity of marriage and the family, to the dignity of each individual human life, and to the truth that human rights begin when human lives begin, and not one moment later
. “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.” ―Matthew 5:14