It seems everywhere you look on the internet, shops and T.V, you see zebra themed items. Many times these items are expensive and do not always fit into the budget of a stay-at-home-mom. Here is a way to make your own zebra themed items without breaking the bank. This simple plan is cheap, and is very easy to complete.
1. Find a white or black object that you would like to paint. Example: Picture Frame or Bookcase.
2. Tools: masking tape
black or white spray paint
mask and gloves
plastic table cloth
Chalkboard paint works really well for this. It sprays evenly and has a great finish. All of these supplies can be bought at your local Dollar General. If they do not have chalkboard paint, you can use simple black or white spray paint. All of this should cost around $20.00; it depends on where you go to get the tools.
3. Prepare: Clean the object you want to paint with a damp cloth, you can sand down any rough areas with sandpaper or just leave it for character. Once the object you want to paint is dry, take strips of the masking tape and cut it to fit the object. Cut wavy strips of tape or leave it without cutting it. Place the strips around the object. If doing a picture frame, wrap the strips around the frame after you take out the glass. Make sure there is space between the strips. Do this to the whole object.
4. Paint: Once the tape is in place, take your object to a well-ventilated area. Outside works great. You can use a plastic table cloth to put on the ground and place your object on it. After placing your object on the table cloth, put your mask on and gloves. Begin spraying the object with paint. Make sure to get all of the corners. You may need to do a 2nd coat depending on the type of spray paint you use. Make sure the paint does not run. If it does, use the craft sponge to thin it out. Let the object dry.
5. Removal of tape: Once object is dry to the touch, gently remove the masking tape. If the paint is still a little wet, it is ok, be careful not to smudge the paint. You can always go back over it and touch it up if you need to.
6. Finish: After all the tape is removed, touch up any areas around the white stripes. Let the frame or bookcase dry overnight.
That is it! You just made your first zebra striped item!