At least one Detroit team was able to put together a win within the last week and it was the Detroit Lions in a last-minute 28-24 victory over the Seattle Seahawks at Ford Field.
The win (No. 3 for the Lions) salvaged a week that began with a Monday Night Football (MNF) loss to the Chicago Bears followed by four consecutive losses by the Detroit Tigers to the San Francisco Giants in this year’s Major League Baseball (MLB) World Series.
But let’s turn our attention to Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, who broke through the 30-point barrier in fantasy points for the first time this season. Stafford threw for 352 yards, tossed three touchdown passes and gave up one interception. He finished with 37 fantasy points, which makes him the leading scorer in week #8 going into the Monday night game.
Spaz, the magnificent football predicting cat, was not as productive as Stafford as he picked Detroit to win the MNF game and the Seahawks to beat the Lions yesterday.
I was right in both games, because I picked the Bears at home over the Lions and Detroit in a home game to beat Seattle.
Let’s look at the results for weeks #7 and 8.
“The Lion who will roar” (Hometown Hero) in week #7 & #8 – Finally: I wrote 10 days ago that “I am going to continue picking quarterback Matthew Stafford with the belief that someday he will play two solid halves of football.” He didn’t play two solid halves against the Bears and the Lions lost. He was far more consistent in week #8 and Detroit won. Despite the loss of wide receiver Nate Burleson in the MNF game, Stafford spread the football around to his wide receivers, tight ends and running banks in the win over Seattle.
“Above (not On) Par Lion” in week 7 and 8’s games – Groan: Like many fantasy football owners, I am waiting for Calvin Johnson to have another game with at least 10 receptions. (He has had only one this year.) Johnson caught three passes in each of last week’s games and finished with a combined total of 80 yards receiving for weeks 7 and 8.
“Bench that Lion” (Hometown Zero) in week #7 – Bingo: Tight end Brandon Pettigrew caught five passes for 39 yards against Chicago and earned three fantasy points.
“Bench that Lion” (Hometown Zero) in week #8 – Bingo: With the inconsistent performance of the Lions offense, I figured it was time for kicker Jason Hanson to be the “Hometown Zero.” It worked out well, because he only needed to kick four extra points which translates into four fantasy points.
Week #7 Predictions: Spaz (2-3) – Detroit 21, Chicago 20. Deni (2-3) – Chicago 24, Detroit 20. Results – Chicago 13, Detroit 7.
Week #8 Predictions: Deni (3-3) – Detroit 21, Seattle 20. Spaz (2-4) – Seattle 24, Detroit 20. Results – Detroit 28, Seattle 24.
“I wish I had him this week” – Week #7 Results: Yippee
• Drew Brees, QB, Saints – Brees was my national “Play Him” selection of the week and he led all quarterback in fantasy points in week #7. He completed 29 of 37 passes for 377 yards and tossed four touchdown passes against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
• Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay – Rodgers was 30 for 37, but he threw three touchdown passes and for 342 yards passing.
• Tom Brady, QB, New England – Brady finished with a respectable 18 fantasy points against the Jets defense. He was 26 for 42 with two touchdown passes and 264 yards passing.
“I wish I had him this week” – Week #8 Results: Minor Yippee
• Peyton Manning, QB, Denver -My national “Play Him” selection for week #8 was third among quarterbacks in fantasy points. (Stafford was No. 1 and Tom Brady was No. 2.) Manning completed 22 of 30 passes against the Saints. He had three touchdown passes and 305 yards passing..
• Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh – Because I don’t like to pick the same set of quarterbacks to run up the fantasy point numbers, I picked “Big Ben” in week #8 and he rewarded that selection with 20 fantasy points. Roethlisberger threw three touchdown passes in a win over the Redskins.
• Matt Forte, RB, Chicago – Forte has 94 total yards in a very close game against the Panthers. His 15 fantasy points were fewer than expected in week #8.
“Expect a Downturn” – Week #7 Results: Minor Yippee
• Greg Olsen, TE, Carolina – Olsen was my national “Sit Him” player of the week and he earned three fantasy points. He caught four passed for 31 yards.
• Pierre Thomas, RB, New Orleans- Thomas scored a touchdown running the ball and ended up with nine fantasy points.
• Michael Crabtree, WR, San Francisco – We must be approaching Halloween, because here’s some scarey numbers. Crabtree, like Olsen, caught four passes for 31 yards.
“Expect a Downturn” – Week #8 Results: Minor Groan
• Justin Medlock, K, Carolina – My national “Sit Him” player of the week scored 18 fantasy points by kicking five field goals and an extra point in a 23-22 loss to the Bears.
• Domenik Hixon, WR, New York Giants – I feel better after seeing Hixon end up with two fantasy points. He caught three passes for 26 yards against the Cowboys.
• Brandon Myers, TE, Oakland – Myers earned four fantasy points by catching three passes for 49 yards.
Most teams are at the midpoint of the season. How is your fantasy football team doing?
Here’s your opportunity to share your opinions and expertise with other fantasy sports enthusiasts and me. You can submit your predictions by choosing to “Comment” on this story or email me at email@example.com.