Lifestyle loves our interior designers and they often stop by to give us tips and insights into how they work and what they do best. Today we have the pleasure of talking to Jennifer Agus, from New York, who details her work on a particular project. Her comments are found below but you will need to visit the slideshow to see the project photos step-by-step, and what she did to complete this successful renovation.
Here are the high points on an interior design and home decorating story–the Malcolm Court project–located in Tenafly, New Jersey, which was an old barn that was recreated into a summer home.
New York based interior designer Jennifer Agus’s tips below can help you recreate this look:
1) Use furnishings such as a long kitchen fabric to glamorize simple furniture such as the wooden chair above.
2) Take advantage of the open space that you have and strategically create a dining room in an area where there is plenty of natural light and you can step outside at your convenience
” Take advantage of the open space that you have…”
3) Use two small tables instead of one long table to make the space more flexible for guests. Position art work to draw guests into the space like the piece above.
4) Create a vintage look by using a large scale mantel for the fireplace– but juxtapose it with modern furniture to create an interesting and eclectic space.
5) This palette in the room above was dictated by the kitchen island and the flooring which has camel and green hues– always center your color scheme around a few central pieces of furniture and build the rest of the room around the chosen theme.
6) Jennifer Agus recommends West Elm to buy fun, bold and colorful accessories such as those you see in in the kid’s room above.
8) Spice up any nook or corner with colorful bold colors or ikat pillows and printed wallpaper.
9) Jennifer was going for a woodsy feel in the master bedroom to vibe with the setting of the barn. Don’t be afraid to use your favorite wallpaper on one wall.
Visit the slideshow to see all the project photographs.
About Jennifer Agus
Jennifer Agus is the principal and creative energy behind Agus Interiors. The design firm handles mainly residential projects, overseeing the plans from start to finish. The inherent appreciation and understanding of design, style and space can be seen in all of her designs.
Jennifer began her career with Ralph Lauren, where she spent six years on a wide-range of design projects, including the development of showrooms and store displays including department stores. She gained valuable experience developing budgets when she tracked American and European furniture shopping trips in the antiques division.
Her exposure to the high-design concept stores, showrooms and offices honed her design skills and enticed her to get a Master’s degree in Interior Design from Pratt Institute in New York City. Jennifer also studied art history and architecture for several months in Paris and Copenhagen. As an undergraduate, Jennifer received her B.S. in Finance and International Business from New York University.
Today, Jennifer is a member of the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and currently resides on the Upper East Side of Manhattan with her husband Daniel and son Harrison.