If you want to make delicious beef stroganoff, you can make it in the crock pot or slow cooker without a lot of effort. A simple Sunday dinner, easy beef stroganoff in the crock pot or slow cooker will be ready for you when you get home from church or visiting friends and family.
This recipe for beef stroganoff can easily be doubled to feed a larger family, if needed. You will want to increase the cooking time to 6 hours if you make a larger batch of beef stroganoff.
You will need a 4-quart or larger crock pot or slow cooker for this beef stroganoff recipe.
The beef will be easier to cut if you freeze it for 30 to 60 minutes. If preferred, 1½ pounds sliced fresh mushrooms can be substituted for the canned mushrooms. You can substitute you own homemade onion soup mix for the prepackaged store-bought onion soup mix.
Serve easy beef stroganoff with a leafy green salad with homemade dressing and steamed vegetables. If you prefer, you can serve the beef stroganoff over mashed potatoes instead of rice or noodles.
Easy beef stroganoff in the crock pot or slow cooker
Ingredients to make beef stroganoff in the crock pot or slow cooker:
- 1½ pounds beef sirloin, beef bottom round or beef round steaks
- 4 Tablespoons butter or margarine or 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups hot water
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1 envelope onion soup mix or make your own onion soup mix
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 4 cups hot cooked rice or noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
How to make easy beef stroganoff in the crock pot or slow cooker:
- Trim any visible fat from the beef, and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In crock pot or slow cooker, stir together water and soup mix. Add beef, onions, mushrooms and liquid from mushrooms, tossing to coat with soup mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours, until beef is tender.
- Turn off crock pot and stir in sour cream. Cover and let sit 30 minutes with crock pot turned off before serving.
- Serve over beef stroganoff over hot cooked rice or egg noodles. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Make your own onion soup mix for pennies
- Easy homemade egg noodle recipe
- Colcannon recipe: Irish mashed potatoes and cabbabe
- Recipes to make healthier, more nutritious salads
- How to make a variety of homemade salad dressings for pennies
Click the SUBSCRIBE link to get free recipes from the Buffalo Cooking Examiner delivered directly to your email box!
Follow Better Frugal Living and Rachael’s Food Buzz on Facebook. Also follow Rachael on Twitter and Pinterest