Mercado La Paloma invites the Southern California community to come together and celebrate Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) through the art, food and cultural events taking place October 12 – 28. The Dia De Los Muertos celebrations launch Mercado La Paloma’s Cultural Continuum series, which feature nine months of bi-monthly programming highlighting different cultures via fixed media exhibits, live music performances, dance, lectures, workshops, along with cooking classes and tastings, allowing community members of diverse cultures to enjoy and teach others about their respective heritage. The Cultural Continuum series is underwritten by a major grant from ArtPlace, which accelerates creative place-making across the U.S.
Mercado la Paloma’s October events will include cooking classes taught by its award-winning chefs, an altar-making workshop, folk art classes taught by members of Self Help Graphics, an art exhibit featuring over twenty local artists and a full day of Dia de Los Muertos festivities, including live music, dance, and theater.
Calendar of events at Mercado La Paloma:
- October 12th: 7:00 p.m. -9:00 p.m. “Renaissance 2012,” Art Exhibit Opening, curated by Art Chabolla of Xamanism – FREE. The exhibit is inspired by the Mayan Calendar’s Baktun cycle, a 144,000 day cycle that ends December 2012. The art pieces will explore the themes of time, death and rebirth and will include the works of Mario Sibaja, Elizabeth Retolaza, Enrique Britto, plus many more.
- October 14th: Introduction to Altar Making Workshop – FREE. Participants will learn about the history of altars and their significance to Día de los Muertos, as well as traditional components that comprise an altar.
- October 19th: 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. Cooking Class with Chichen Itzá. Join Chef Gilberto Cetina of Chichen Itzá to learn how to prepare the traditional Mayan Dia de Los Muertos menu. www.cookingwithchichenitza.eventbrite.com
- October 26th: 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. Cooking Class with Taqueria Vista Hermosa. Join Chef Raul Morales of Taqueria Vista Hermosa to learn how to prepare a traditional Day of the Dead Menu from Michoacán. www.cookingwithvistahermosa.eventbrite.com
- October 27th: Dia De Los Muertos Artisan workshops – FREE – Altar-Making Workshop. Participants will build an altar in commemoration of their loved ones. Papier Mache Mask-Making: Participants will create and decorate a classic papier mache Calaca mask using traditional techniques. Sugar Skull Decorating: Participants will learn how to decorate sugar skulls using traditional and new decorating techniques. Papel Picado/Mexican Paper Cuts: Learn the basics of papel picado using simple cutting techniques and templates to create Day of the Dead imagery.
- October 28th: Dia De Los Muertos Festival 11:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. – FREE – Esperanza Community Housing Corporation is pleased to once again partner with Arturo Chabolla of Xamanism to produce our annual Dia De Los Muertos Celebration featuring an amazing offering of delicious foods prepared by the chefs of Mercado La Paloma. A dazzling array of music, theater and dance performances will be featured on six stages.
Dia de los Muertos at Mercado La Paloma
3655 South Grand Avenue,
Los Angeles CA 90007
Date: October 12 – 28, 2012
Like Dena on Facebook here