October 1 marks the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness and Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Breast Cancer Awareness Month began in 1985 as a partnership between the American Cancer Society and the pharmaceutical division of Imperial Chemical Industries, now part of AstraZenaca. (Source: Wikipedia) Domestic Violence Awarness Month sprang forth from the “Day of Unity” in October of 1981, and the first official awareness month was observed in 1987. (Source: www.ncdsv.org)
Although Breast Cancer Awareness Month is more well recognized, both campaigns deal with the health and safety of individuals and families. Many people have been impacted by harsh diagnoses of breast cancer either personally or through a loved one. Many more have experienced the harsh reality of familial violence, although they tend to suffer in silence.
Breast cancer, when detected early, can be resolved with a higher likelihood of survival. Domestic violence is one hundred percent preventable.
- The color pink and the pink ribbon are symbols of breast cancer awareness.
- The color purple and the purple ribbon are symbols of domestic violence awareness.
- Breast cancer awareness is often recognized through walks, runs, and races.
- Domestic violence awareness is often recognized through art functions, candlelight vigils, and community outreach.
Local events for Breast Cancer Awareness Month:
- “1-in-8” Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign-Charlotte Radiology various dates
- Chocolate for a Cure at the uptown Omni Hotel October 6 from 7-10 p.m. For more information, call (877) 993-8499 Tickets are $35 with portion of the proceeds going to a local breast cancer foundation.
- Avon Walk for Breast Cancer- Charlotte October 27-28
- TREK Breast Cancer Awareness Ride- Bicycle Center register by October 12
- Vera Bradley Golf and Tennis Classic- Charlotte Country Club October 15
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer- NASCAR Hall of Fame October 20
- Paint the Country Pink- Dressbarn www.rubyislost.com www.dressbarn.com
Local events for Domestic Violence Awareness Month:
- Interfaith DV Candlelight Vigil Beatties Ford Road Regional Library 2412 Beatties Ford Rd., Charlotte, NC 28216 Contact Glencie for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org. October 4 6:30 p.m.
- Come join us as we kick off the 6th Annual Beards BeCAUSE fundraising campiagn benefiting local domestic violence shelters! More details to follow at www.BeardsBeCAUSE.com October 5
- 14th Annual ASIS Golf Tournament Registration / Range Shotgun Start
Tega Cay Golf Club $95 Per player (includes cart & green fees, lunch & dinner buffet, awards) Sponsorships are available. Proceeds benefitting Mecklenburg County Community Support Services Women’s Commission. Please call or email Thomas Vidak at 704-301-6084 or Thomas.Vidak@SecuritasINC.com October 8 8 a.m.- 10 a.m.
- N’Rich The Soul: A day of Arts, Culture and Inspiration
Little Rock Community Development Center (a.k.a. the old Afro-American Cultural Center) 401 N. McDowell St., Charlotte, NC 28202 Proceeds assisting local domestic violence services . Presented by Autograph Entertainmentt October 13 12 noon
- Pearls (Positive Encouragement And Renewal Ladies Series) A Domestic Violence Awareness Charity Event presented by hip chick photography
5700 Executive Center Dr., Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28212
Survivor stories presented through photography and other art forms.
Activities include Zumba, self-defense classes, motivational speakers, pampering sessions, music, dancing & more. Contact: Sandra Guynes at 704-817-8793 for more information. October 20 10 a.m.