Eleven-year old Calvin Lock lost 65% of his skin after taking over-the-counter medicine ibuprofen for a what was thought to be a viral infection. He was rushed to the emergency room and put in intensive care and rushed to a special burns unit.
Painkiller ibuprofen to tackle viral infection
Calvin’s trauma began on September 26 when he was given the painkiller ibuprofen to treat a viral infection. The very next morning when he woke up his ear was swollen and he had a rash on his face. Alarmed his parents, Robin Moult and Darin Chambers, took him to the doctors office where he was diagnosed as having chickenpox and antibiotics where subscribed.
The following day the rash and swelling spread all across his body
Calvin’s parents rushed him to the hospital thinking he was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics which the doctors prescribed for diagnosed chicken pox. At the emergency room the doctors thought the chickenpox was causing his reaction and sent him home with more antibiotics, which left the boy unable to walk or talk by the next morning.
Unable to breath
The nightmare for Calvin’s parents was not over yet. Finally the doctors at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, Essex were able to diagnose Calvin’s severe allergic reaction called, Stephens Johnson Syndrome, which can be a potentially life threatening skin disease and moved him into intensive care.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug NSAID are known to cause severe allergic reactions in children
The over-the-counter medications come with warning labels and even aspirin it has been warned, do not give to children with a viral infection or to children under the age of three years of age. The allergic reaction that Calvin suffered is rare but is possible especially for children. Calvin was put on a drip and treatment for his 200 blisters began. His family was told his chances of survival were slim as experts began removing some 65% of his skin in order to stop the burning and save his life.
After two days he was able to breathe again
With the feeding tube removed along with the blistered skin, his family is seeing recovery and his mother is taking on the goal to raise awareness for this terrible disease, which she found out is not so rare as she once was told by doctors. Calvin’s soccer club is having benefits to raise money to help Calvin’s family for his treatment.
Side effects of ibuprofen:
· Abdominal pain,
· Chest pain,
· Rattled breathing,
· Black stools,
· Itching skin,
· Pale skin,
· Rash with flat lesions or small raised lesions on the skin,
· Trouble breathing on exertion,
· Unusual bruising or bleeding,
· Back, leg pains,
· Blurred vision,
· Clay colored stools,
· Hives, welts,
· Body swelling,
· Swelling, face or head,
· Sore throat,
· Yellow eyes and skin;
· Hearing loss.
If you are having any of these symptoms after taking ibuprofen seek medical attention immediately. You can report any side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Natural substitutions for ibuprofen
· White Willow Bark, the predecessor to aspirin contains salicin, without the irritation to your stomach.
· Omega-3 , are anti-inflammatory and beneficial for patients with heart disease. Ibuprophen is known to cause this reaction in patients with heart disease.
· Turmeric, anti-inflammatory and a painkiller.
· Boswelia, is anti-inflammatory, and may be taken as a cream applied to the skin or taken orally, also known as ‘Indian Frankincense.’