Italian wedding soup is one of the most delicious and kid-friendly soups you can make for your family. Italian wedding soup is also a good way to get picky eaters and children to eat vegetables like spinach and carrots.
Italian wedding soup is a very adaptable recipe, and you can substitute endive or romaine lettuce for the spinach, as well as Rosa marina or orzo pasta for the pastina. You can make your own vegetable broth or chicken stock, or use canned broth. If desired, you can leave out the spinach.
You can make Italian wedding soup on the stove top in a 6 to 8-quart soup pot or in a 6 to 8-quart crock pot or slow cooker.
Italian wedding soup recipe
Pasta ingredients for Italian wedding soup:
- 4 cups water, divided
- ½ cup uncooked pastina or other small pasta
- ½ teaspoon salt
Italian wedding soup base ingredients:
- 10 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup sweet white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup fresh spinach, rinsed, thick stems removed, torn into small pieces or ½ cup frozen chopped spinach thawed and all water squeezed out
Ingredients for the meatballs for Italian wedding soup:
- ½ to ¾ pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 3 Tablespoons white or yellow sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ to ¾ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs or make your own bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Salt to taste
How to make the pasta and Italian wedding soup base:
- Cook pastina in 2 cups of water with ½ teaspoon salt. Cook the pastina for 5 less minutes than indicated on the package directions. Do not drain. Remove the pastina from the heat and set aside.
- Add 10 cups chicken stock and 2 cups of water to the crock pot or slow cooker.
- Add garlic, onions, celery, carrots and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 to 4 hours until heated through and celery and carrots are soft.
How to make meatballs for Italian wedding soup:
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray 13×9-inch cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef with garlic, onion, grated cheese, beaten egg, salt and just enough bread crumbs to hold everything together. Use your hands to incorporate all the ingredients completely.
- Roll meat mixture into small meatballs, about the size of dime. Place meatballs on prepared cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes.
- Carefully turn meatballs and bake for another 4 to 6 minutes until they are browned on all sides and cooked all the way through.
To assemble Italian wedding soup:
- Add cooked meatballs to crock pot or slow cooker; cover and heat on low for 30 to 40 minutes until soup becomes hot again.
- Add torn spinach to crock pot or slow cooker; cover and heat on low 15 to 20 minutes until spinach begins to wilt.
- Add cooked pastina to crock pot or slow cooker. Stir the Italian wedding soup to incorporate all ingredients. Add fresh chopped parsley. Cover and turn off the crock pot or slow cooker, and let soup sit covered for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with additional grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- Vegan ‘meatball’ recipe
- Make your own bread crumbs from stale bread
- Make your own vegetable broth from vegetable scraps
- Build a healthier, more nutritious salad
- Save money by making your own salad dressings with a few simple ingredients