Pumpkin and sweet potatoes are in abundance in the months of October and November, and you can make this delicious bread pudding with either pumpkin or sweet potatoes. Pumpkin bread pudding or sweet potato bread pudding makes a delicious dessert for Halloween or for Thanksgiving.
You can use either canned pumpkin or sweet potatoes or fresh cooked pumpkin or sweet potatoes. Many supermarkets have sweet potatoes for less than fifty-cents per pound during the autumn months.
Take advantage of the low prices of pumpkin and sweet potatoes in the autumn months, cook and freeze or can the sweet potatoes or pumpkin for later use.
Bread pudding made with pumpkin or sweet potatoes
Ingredients for sweet potato or pumpkin bread pudding
- 6 cups stale bread, cut or ripped into chunks (any combo will do)
- 1 can (15 ounces) cut sweet potatoes, yams, mashed or 100% pumpkin puree OR 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes or pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon mixed with 2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
How to make pumpkin or sweet potato bread pudding:
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; stir in vanilla. Mash in sweet potatoes. Whisk in brown sugar, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg; set aside.
- In a larger bowl, add bread chunks. Pour egg mixture over bread and make sure to coat completely. Use a silicone spatula or your hands to mix it until completely blended and all bread is coated with mixture. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Spray 8×8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour bread mixture into baking dish. Top with chopped walnuts and cinnamon sugar. Cover with foil and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Remove baking dish from fridge and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake, covered, at 350*F for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until set in the middle. Serve with vanilla sauce.
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Vanilla sauce recipe for pumpkin or sweet potato bread pudding
Ingredients for vanilla sauce:
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
How to make vanilla sauce:
- In large saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk with vanilla until bubbly hot. Reduce heat to low and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Serve over warm bread pudding.
- Yield: approximately 1½ cups
- Best gifts in a jar to make for holiday giving: Brownie mix recipe
- Best gifts in a jar to make for holiday giving: Carrot cake mix recipe
- Best recipes for two: Elegant and frugal stuffed pork chops
- Bread stuffing recipe: Best frugal weeknight stuffing recipe for pork or chicken
Click the Subscribe link to receive FREE notification whenever new articles or recipes are published by the Frugal Living Examiner, Family Examiner and Buffalo Family Holidays Examiner
Follow Better Frugal Living and Rachael’s Food Buzz on Facebook. Also follow Rachael on Twitter and Pinterest