National Coffee Day is September 29, so why not celebrate with some coffee-infused dishes in the kitchen?
Here are some ideas to get you started with using coffee in the kitchen:
- For a real treat, use chocolate mint flavored coffee when making brownies or chocolate cake recipes that call for espresso or extra-strong brewed coffee. This adds a light touch of mint to the chocolate while enhancing the chocolate flavor with the coffee.
- Add unflavored coffee to the liquid for a beef pot roast, marinade or gravy.
- Make ice cubes with regular-brewed coffee and put one at the center of each hamburger patty to add moisture and a bold punch to the beefy burgers. This also works with meatloaves made in a muffin tin.
- Serve a scoop of chocolate ice cream in a cup of hot, freshly brewed vanilla-flavored coffee, or switch it up and serve vanilla ice cream in chocolate-flavored coffee. Add chocolate syrup for extra decadence.
- Replace some of the liquid in homemade icing recipes with strong coffee in a flavor that complements the cake. For instance, use caramel-flavored coffee to pair with a caramel or apple cake.
- Make the classic dessert that calls for espresso — tiramisu. Check out the video for instructions for making this dish.
You can get your beans from one of several roasters that are right here in the city.
House of Coffee Beans
2348 Bissonnet Street
Houston, Texas 77005
Hours: M-F, 10 to 6; Sat 10 – 5; closed Sun
House of Beans has flavored and non-flavored coffee blends in both regular and decaf. You can save money by getting a frequent coffee buyer card that will earn you a free pound of International Blend after you buy 10 pounds of any type of coffee.
1003 West 34th Street
Houston, Texas 77018
Katz is well-known by Eastside farmers market goers who stop by their booth for ground coffee or brewed coffee. You can also find bags of their coffee at Central Market or at area Kroger stores. They do not offer flavored coffees, just great blends of coffee.
Duncan Coffee Company
Mailing Address: 8944 Clarkcrest Street
Houston, Texas 77063
If you have even been to Buffalo Grille and tried their signature cinnamon coffee, you have had Duncan coffee. You can order that same spicy coffee blend or any of their other numerous flavored or non-flavored coffees on their website or at Rice Epicurean or Kroger stores. Bering’s Hardware also sells Duncan coffees in bulk.
1701 Commerce Street
Houston, Texas 77002
Lola Savannah is the supplier for the large array of regular and decaf flavored coffees in bulk bins you can get at Central Market and Houston-area HEB stores.