The Zona Rosa Arts Festival will be held on Friday Sept. 14 to Sunday Sept. 16. This is the ninth year for the festival that celebrates local and national artists. The event will include dance, arts and crafts, live music and food vendors. The Platte City Friends of Art will host a free children’s art tent each day. The band Abbey Road (a Beatles Tribute Band) will perform on Saturday at 7 p.m.
The 42nd Annual Jesse James Festival will run through Sunday the 16th in Kearney, Mo. Events will include the Jess James Territorial Shoot, Barbeque contest, carnival, youth rodeo and dance among other activities. On Sunday there will be a fishing tournament at the Jessie James Park.
ConX: KCs First Sci-Fi Horror Pop Convention will be held beginning on Friday Sept. 14 in the Ramada Inn at 1601 N. Universal Ave. Guests will include Walter Koenig, Denise Crosby, Bill Blair, Alexis Cruz and Ashley Palmer among others. The event will run through Sunday Sept. 16.
The Mission Arts and Eats Festival will be held at Johnson Drive and Beverly in Mission beginning on Friday Sept. 14. The event will feature artists, vendors and a barbeque contest. The art will be on display at the Sylvester Pyle Community Center.
Live theatre Sept. 14 to Sept. 16:
- American Heartland Theatre: Crown Center, “Making God Laugh.”
- Barn Players: 6219 Martway, Mission, “Blood Brothers.”
- Chestnut Fine Arts Center: 234 N. Chestnut, Olathe, “The Satin Dolls.”
- Coterie Theatre: Crown Center, “Spring Awakening.”
- H&R Block City Stage Theater: Union Station, “The Real Inspector Hound.”
- Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre: 3614 Main, “Three Tall Women.”
Music Friday Sept. 14:
- Aftershock Bar and Grill: 5240 Merriam Dr., The Sammus Theory’s Apocalyptic Takeover Tour Featuring Cage 9.
- Beaumont Club: 4050 Pennsylvania, Ten Thousand One, Suicide Theory, Adam Evolving, Restraint, Cimino.
- Czar: 1531 Grand, Cherub, Nmezee, West End Girl.
- Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club: 3402 Main, Deco Auto, Urges from Elsewhere, The Quiver.
- Jazz a Louisiana Kitchen: 1823 W. 39th, Billy Ebeling and the Late for Dinner Band.
- Kelly’s Westport Inn: 500 Westport Rd., Old Number 5s.
- Knuckleheads Saloon: 2715 Rochester, The Del Castillo Band with special guest Maria the Mexican.
- RecordBar: 1020 Westport Rd., These United States, Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside, the Plant.
- Riot Room: 4048 Broadway, Valhalla, Alsatia, Ancient Creation, Vanlade.
Music Saturday Sept. 15:
- Aftershock Bar and Grill: 5240 Merriam Dr., Banshee, Darkside.
- Beaumont Club: 4050 Pennsylvania, Missy Higgins, Katie Herzi, Butterfly Boucher.
- Czar: 1531 Grand, ZZ Ward, Zach Heckendorf, Clay Hughes.
- Davey’s Uptown Ramblers Club: 3402 Main, Victor and Penny, Miss Tess and the Talkbacks, Howard Iceberg and the Titantics.
- Jazz a Louisiana Kitchen: 1823 W. 39th, Lonnie Ray Blues Band.
- Kelly’s Westport Inn: 500 Westport Rd., Wonderfuzz.
- Knuckleheads Saloon: 2715 Rochester Road, Anthony Gomes, Victor Wainwright and the Wildroots, Debbie Davies.
- RecordBar: 1020 Westport, Paper Route, Soft Reeds.
- Riot Room: 4048 Broadway, Know Your Enemy, Blunt Rap, Dutch Newman.
Music Sunday Sept. 16:
- Beaumont Club: 4050 Pennsylvania, TEUTONIC TERROR ATTACK 2012: Kreator & Accept Swallow the Sun, Hellevatek.
- Jazz: 1823 W. 39th, Dan Bliss.
- RecordBar: 1020 Westport Rd., Jeff Harshbarger Presents an Alternative Jazz Series.