The Apple iPhone 5 release date is September 14 for pre-orders. The phone will ship on the Sept. 21 the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
The iPhone looks similar to the iPhone 4S, but the slightly bigger size and new features listed below are impressive. The prices range from $199 for a 16GB to $399 for a 64 GB. This brings the iPhone 4S down to $99 with a contract and the iPhone 4 is now free with a contract.
The much-anticipated press event started at 1:00 p.m. in San Francisco, with Tim Cook giving members of the press their first look at the features of the new iPhone. The Apple CEO calls it an “absolute jewel.”
Sorely missed from the presentation was Steve Jobs and his iconic black turtleneck, but Cook got the crowd’s attention nonetheless.
Cook first talked about Mountain Lion and moved on to the MacBook Pro’s success. The anticipation for details about the new iPhone 5 was evident in the room, but he talked a little about the iPad, making the press wait to get a glimpse of the new phone.
Cook laughed when he said that other “must be in warehouses or on store shelves, or in bottom drawers” and pointed to the success of the iPad. Clearly thrilled with its success, Cook stated that in 2012 the iPad has 68% market share.
“The biggest things to happen to iPhone since the iPhone. I’m incredibly proud!” – Tim Cook, Apple CEO
Now, onto the iPhone 5. A slideshow of the newest tech gadget coming to an Apple Store near you rose up on stage to great applause.
Apple’s Phil Schiller presented the new and totally redesigned iPhone 5 to the audience:
“It’s an absolute jewel … Made entirely of glass and aluminum, designed and built to a standard unlike any in the industry.”
The following are some key details about the iPhone 5:
- Prices: $199 for 16GB; $299 for 32GB. $399 for 64GB with contract.
- 7.6mm thick, 18% less than before. 112g, 20% lighter than before.
- The Retina display is now 4 with 326ppi and it has a 1136 x 640 resolution.
- Battery life improved: 8hrs 3G talk, 8hrs 3G browsing, 8hrs LTE browsing, 10hrs WiFi browsing, 10hrs video, 40hrs music, 225hrs standby.
- Camera: 8MP with backside illumination, hybrid IR filter, 5-element lens and f/2.4 aperture.
- New camera feature: Panorama – sweep the scene with the iPhone 5 vertically, and it takes a 28-megapixel image.
- Video:1080p Full HD with improved stabilization.
- Movies show in 16:9 and there is 44% more color saturation.
- Five rows of icons now, and the bottom shortcuts.
- iWork has been updated, and iMovie, and Garage Band.
- Utrafast Wireless, with LTE, DC-HSDPA, HSPA+, HSPA, EVDO, EDGE, and GPRS. LTE maxes out at 100Mbps, DC-HSDPA at 42Mbps.
- A single chip and a single radio, with a dynamic antenna which can “automatically switch antenna connections”
- In the US, the iPhone 5 will support AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, all with LTE.
- The iPhone 5 has a new chipset, the A6. 22% smaller but more power.
- The iPhone 5 has dual-channel WiFi a/b/g/n with 150Mbps.
- In Canada, Rogers, Telus, Bell, Fido, Virgin. EE and Deutsche Telekom in Europe, plus O2, SFR, Vodafone, Swisscom, Telefonica.
- New connector called “Lightening.” All-digital, 8-signal design, with adaptive interface, better durability. The connector is completely reversible. Apple has an adaptor to make your old accessories continue to work with iPhone 5.
- New enhancements to Safari as part of the update suit the new display with a full-screen view and the ability to share tabs from desktop to phone using iCloud Tabs.
- Navigation through the new Maps app.
- The new iPhone has a search engine for over 100m points-of-interest, Yelp integration for info cards, and Siri voice directions.
Pre-order the iPhone 5 on Sept. 14 and it will ship out on Sept. 21 in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
Shipping will then begin in 22 additional countries on Sept 28, and then 20 countries more in October.
Will you be pre-ordering the iPhone 5 on September 14, 2012?