Are you new to the area? Like many parents who relocate to another state, we want to know what events are happening in our neighborhood. Welcome! There are plenty of activities in Laurel for you and your family for free or at a low cost.
For starters, Family activities:
Visit the West Laurel Recreation Council:
- Family Swim Night, where you can play with your kids in the pool at the ‘Fairland Aquatics Center’ starting in February on the 1st or 2nd Friday of the month, from 6-9 P.M.
- Breakfast with dad, is a time for dads to spend with their boys as they prepare and eat wonderful food together. You must reserve a spot by calling Jean Staats at (301) 604-8550
- Laurel museum located at 817 Main Street has an educational program for kids’. Admission is free.
- For more events in the Laurel area visit http://laurel.exploremd.us/events/
- Learn about your family tree by visiting http://www.laurellibrary.org/research/genealogy
http://www.laurelhistoricalsociety.org | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laurel-Jones Library offers a family activity through ‘The Friends of the Ellisville Public Library’ offered on a monthly basis. Activities are held one Thursday afternoon per month at 4:00 P.M.October 10, 2012, from 7:00 – 9:00 P.M.
- Join Laurel Library as they introduce their Organic food series. Taking place at 507 7th St, Laurel, MD 301-725-7975. FREE
Activities for adults:
- Go Sightseeing. Capital Entertainment Services presents 3 hour tours. Visit www.washington-dc-tours.com or call 202-636-9203
- Join the Parents Information Exchange. Hear from parenting experts as they speak about parenting and child development stages. An added bonus is you will have the ability to network with other parents in the community. Contact Rush Kester at 301490-1310
- Enjoy an adult night out with other adults. For more information, call Kathy McKay 410-792-4968
- Take a first aid course with the ‘Red Cross’. You can attend at 6321 Greenbelt Rd, College Park, MD 20740 (301) 529-4569 or take the course online by visiting http://cprcare.com/article-92721-cpr-classes-in-laurel-maryland.html
- Howard University is offering free Cancer scans to those without insurance. Visit http://cancer.howard.edu/ for more information.
- Adult beginners Italian classes. Call Chuck Lavin at 301-490-8996
- Attend monthly Saturday morning seminars to discuss different topics of interest at WLRC.
- Attend a Multicultural event where you can talk to children about your cultural background at WLRC.
- Learn another language such as Portuguese. Visit http://www.ccbcmd.edu/ceed/classes/le_languages.html for a list of classes.
So as you can see, whether you are children free for the day or are planning a family event, Laurel has it all. Hope this helps!