It’s the season for boots. Some of us believe in buying pricey ones that will be resoled and last years, while others go with whatever is affordable since depending on the weather — the shoes will be wrecked by March no matter how expensive they were.
Follow Women’s Fashion Examiner on Twitter, Pinterest and Google+
We’re all about the latter option, but regardless of what your budget is for boots, here are five styles that you’ll get plenty of mileage from by spring.
- Ankle booties in a light color. Yup, we said light. Think taupe, butterscotch, gray or ivory. Light boots make a major fashion statement when paired with all of the go-to dark items in most of our wardrobes during dreary weather. If you already own a dark coat and plenty of dark skinny pants, the light ankle boot is great for day and night. We like leather since it can wipe clean (pleather works too!).
- Zippers, tassels and other extras on boots. This is where the standard neutral boot can look more interesting than those that you probably already own. When buying boots that are black or brown, look for a pair with that little something extra such as exposed zippers, tassels or studs. The extra detail gives any look and edge and keeps the boots from becoming just another pair of boring boots in your wardrobe.
- Riding boots. These are a classic design that many already own. If you don’t, think of all of the ways riding boots can be styled. Upon first look you may think preppy, but the truth is riding boots lend a classic element to anything trendy you wear. This prevents the look from becoming overly trendy and that’s always something you want to avoid.
- The statement ankle boot. Much like ankle boots in a light hue, statement ankle boots make a splash with a monochromatic outfit. Cobalt, oxblood and dark purple are some of the major colors of the season that translate well to ankle boots. This is a great option for going-out shoes with a platform and major heel, but it’s equally striking for a pair of stacked heel boots that you can wear for work and the weekend.
- Animal print. Animal print is still going strong and now on every accessory you can think of, including boots. Go for ankle boots, short riding boots and even knee-high boots if you’re feeling gutsy. Animal print boots are fantastic for spicing up an outfit. We like cheetah best, as it is a smaller print, often anchored by dark caramel tones that make it more wearable than a stronger print like zebra.
Are you buying new boots this fall?