11 Classic pieces your fall wardrobe needs
Trends come and go but with these classic items in your fall wardrobe you’ll always be on point and in style for any occasion.
1. White oxford shirt: As basic as it sounds, this classic piece can take you anywhere. Don’t just settle for white. The options are endless – cotton, stretch, fitted, detailing and even collar variations make this a versatile piece that will go with anything from stand alone or under sweater or jackets.
2. Shoes: If you own two pairs of shoes for this season make sure that they are knee high boots and ankle strap shoes. These are a way to go with footwear this season. The versatility of knee high boots makes it a fun way to dress up anything from skinny jeans to miniskirts. Heel height is a preference but the trendiest height is anything 2 inch or less. Ankle strap shoes, very ladylike in comparison, make your legs look longer and are a great alternative.
3. Pearls: Even though chunky jewelry in metallic tones and jewels is all the rage, nothing beats a strong set of pearls. Pearls are just the right feminine touch to set off this season’s structured styles.
4. Leather bag: Size is all a matter of preference to the carrier but a large leather bag is optimal for the cooler weather. Think more room to carry your stuff in. Don’t just settle for a plain black bag. Opt for a bag in patent leather, with hardware or even an exotic printed bag. Unlike other bags, a leather bag never goes out of style.
5. Turtlenecks: Here is another classic piece that never goes out of style. Not only does it bring focus to your face but also can create a blank palette again your skin if you want to wear more elaborate jewelry that you want to bring attention to.
6. A fitted jacket: Women’s jackets have come a long way since the 80s. Out are the masculine boxy fit (and thankfully shoulder pads as well) and in are the more feminine fitted jackets. This season’s jackets are meant to enhance the feminine figure by giving you more of a waistline and hiding those unwanted bumps. Look for a jacket that is a peplum and jewel toned combining two of this season’s hottest trends.
7. Sheath dress: So versatile and about as must have as the little black dress. Try one with color blocking (dark in the middle with light panels on the sides). Also called an optical dress this styling can make a curvier figure appear smaller. Replace your little black dress with one of these.
8. Dark wash denim jeans: The perfect pair of jeans is sometimes hard to come by but once you do land that pair make sure you have a dark wash jeans. These can be dressed up for evening wear for an edgier look or played down for a casual daywear outfit.
9. Pantsuits: Another throwback to the 80s, this is a look that is no longer masculine but feminine and modern. Sleek and sophisticated, the pantsuit offers a lean look for fall. Not only reserved for the office, choose a pant suit in jewel tones with a sheer top and pearls for a modern evening look.
10. A neutral coat: Timeless elegance in color, it transcends all trends from year to year and the possibilities are endless with this piece. Not wanting to wear a classic tone coat? Opt for a new one in jewel tones (this season’s colors) to add a punch of color to your wardrobe.
11. Slim fitted black pants and/or pencil skirt: Own one or both but if you want to create an instant polished look, pair it up with a turtleneck and ankle strap shoes. These make for everlasting pieces that no women should be without.